Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/12/12 02:29:55 UTC

FW: [concurrency-interest] Executors and J2EE Work frameworks

Since these two JSRs were discussed here recently, I thought that there
might be some folks who would like to comment.

Please comment directly to concurrency-interest@altair.cs.oswego.edu.

	--- Noel

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
I've just reviewed the J2ee Work specification proposal.  In my opinion
it is a worthwhile effort and a good starting point, with the following
reservations:

This proposal does not even mention two critical and essential aspects
of any j2ee proposal, namely the relationship to security and
transaction contexts.  In contrast to the J2ee Connector Architecture
1.5 spec, where security context propagation issues are significant and
totally ignored, inside an application server I don't see significant
issues with propagating a security context between threads.  However,
there are many obvious and major issues with propagating a transaction
context between threads, ranging from in-vm synchronization/locking
issues to indeterminate results if two threads access a single resource
manager within the same transaction.  The Connector 1.5 spec deals with
these by the simple expedient of prohibiting concurrent imports of the
same transaction.  While this solution is obviously sufficient, I'm not
convinced that it is the only workable solution.  Anything else will
IMO require a lot of careful thought and several implementations to
make sure it is actually workable.

This proposal points out that the Connector 1.5 WorkManager is not
suitable for use from a j2ee application.  IMO it is also not usually
suitable for use from anything such as a resource adapter that wishes
to import transactions.  The Connector 1.5 ExecutionContext requires
specification of the Xid for the transaction to import before the work
is submitted (section 10.3.5).  This requires the submitting thread to
interpret the incoming data to extract the Xid.  Since this could
involve an arbitrarily large amount of work (for instance if the xid is
hidden inside a very large message), extracting the xid could more
scalably be done inside the worker thread.

I would like to see this specification develop to include discussion
and resolution of fast, scalable security and transaction context
propagation and provide a solution to the limitations of the Connector
1.5 work model.

Many thanks,
* David Jencks
* Partner