Posted to users@pulsar.apache.org by Dweep Sharma <dw...@redbus.com> on 2019/10/11 04:41:04 UTC

Public & Private

Hi All,

I would like to use Pulsar as a messaging platform. Looking to address the
following challenges

1) Pub-sub between client/server to display messages while user waits on
app/browser. - Do the brokers need to be public or can this be done via a
proxy. any documentation to set this up would help. Would need to ensure
security.

2) If there is a network interruption between consumer/broker, when the
consumer reconnects, a means to rebroadcast or relay the missed messages.
IS this something built in or needs to be added as a custom functionality.

3) Pub-sub between two backend services to move away from blocking calls
that add load/latency on infra. Needs to be private as the messages shared
shouldn't be exposed client side.

4) Does Pulsar provide a means to separate out the topics so this can be
achieved with a single cluster or do I need to setup two clusters for
private and public

Would appreciate resources/docs addressing these challenges. Thanks

-Dweep

--
*::DISCLAIMER::

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
intended for the named recipient(s) only.E-mail transmission is not
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted,lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain
viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents(with or without
referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
or redBus.com. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are
solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or
opinions of redBus.com. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying,
disclosure, modification,distribution and / or publication of this message
without the prior written consent of authorized representative of redbus.
<http://redbus.in/>com is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.Before
opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and
other defects.*

Re: Public & Private

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 9:41 PM Dweep Sharma <dw...@redbus.com> wrote:
> 1) Pub-sub between client/server to display messages while user waits on app/browser. - Do the brokers need to be public or can this be done via a proxy. any documentation to set this up would help. Would need to ensure security.

You can expose a Pulsar cluster through a Pulsar proxy. The proxy is a
completely stateless layer that can be exposed on a public network.

https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/administration-proxy

> 2) If there is a network interruption between consumer/broker, when the consumer reconnects, a means to rebroadcast or relay the missed messages. IS this something built in or needs to be added as a custom functionality.

The consumer will automatically reconnect and will resume consuming
from where it left off.

> 3) Pub-sub between two backend services to move away from blocking calls that add load/latency on infra. Needs to be private as the messages shared shouldn't be exposed client side.

Even if you a public proxy, you can directly connect to brokers for
internal services.

> 4) Does Pulsar provide a means to separate out the topics so this can be achieved with a single cluster or do I need to setup two clusters for private and public

Pulsar provide the notion of tenant and namespaces, as a way to group
and configure the topics.

https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/concepts-multi-tenancy