Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ryan Heaton <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/15 20:46:29 UTC

can't rev the version of multi-module project

Hi.

I just converted my project to a Maven build.  I started with version
1.8-SNAPSHOT of my project and I'm trying to cut a release for version
1.8.

My project is quite complex: multi-module and modules have
dependencies on one another. So to make it simple, there's the parent
with 3 child modules: child1, child2, and child3. All children inherit
from the parent module.  child1 has no dependencies, child2 has a
dependency on child1 and child3 has a dependency on child2.

So, when I cut a release, all pom files are updated to the new
version, 1.8. The child poms, since they don't explicitly declare a
version, are updated to 1.8 by changing the inheritance of the parent
to version 1.8. The dependencies of the child poms are updated because
they're using a property reference, ${project.version}, to declare
their dependencies on their siblings.

But now I try to do a local install and get the "dependency can't be
resolved but has been found in the reactor" message and the build
fails because child3 can't resolve its dependency on child1 version
1.8.

Is my issue the same as http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3685 ?

If so, how do I get Maven 2.0.11 installed? If not, how am I supposed
to cut a release? Is my project set up wrong?

Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

Re: can't rev the version of multi-module project

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
I would recommend not using modules to do the release... just release each
project independently...

if you find version management becomes an overhead then use ranges to make it
a bit simpler...

Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer
mailto:gholam@apache.org

Re: can't rev the version of multi-module project

Posted by Ryan Heaton <ry...@webcohesion.com>.
I actually tried that (declaring the dependency versions in the pom),
but it still doesn't work.  Do your modules have interdependencies?
Are you using Maven 2.0.9?

-Ryan

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

Ryan Heaton wrote:
> Thanks, that helps, but the build still fails on the install with the
> same error because "child3" still depends on "child1" which isn't
> installed yet.
>
> However, this does somewhat simplify my procedure...
>
> New procedure:
>
> 1. "mvn release:prepare" (build will fail with message described
> below, but the pom versions will be updated)
> 2. for each module, in order: "mvn -N -DskipTests=true install"
> 3. "mvn release:clean" (clean up the last failed release)
> 4. "mvn release:prepare" (should work this time)
> 5. "mvn release:perform"
>
> Again, if anyone can help simplify this process (especially step #2
> above), please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ryan
>

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Stephen Connolly
> <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> do mvn -N install in the parent folder first and then mvn install
>>
>> 2008/10/16 Ryan Heaton <st...@gmail.com>:
>>> Well, my show had to go on. I had to resort to revving, building and
>>> deploying each module one-by-one.  Ouch!
>>>
>>> If anyone can bring relief to my suffering, I would be greatly
appreciative.

>>> -Ryan

- --
you too?

Re: can't rev the version of multi-module project

Posted by Sahoo <Sa...@Sun.COM>.
I just want to say that this work around does not always work. It did
not work for. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg91071.html

Thanks,
Sahoo

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.

Kalle Korhonen wrote:
> Why don't you just run install during release:prepare?
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/examples/run-goals-before-commit.html.
> By default, install is not run (because it's not really released yet; but
> typically causes issues with multi-module builds that use dependency plugin
> or otherwise assumes the artifacts to be available)
>
> Kalle
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Ryan Heaton <ry...@webcohesion.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that helps, but the build still fails on the install with the
>> same error because "child3" still depends on "child1" which isn't
>> installed yet.
>>
>> However, this does somewhat simplify my procedure...
>>
>> New procedure:
>>
>> 1. "mvn release:prepare" (build will fail with message described
>> below, but the pom versions will be updated)
>> 2. for each module, in order: "mvn -N -DskipTests=true install"
>> 3. "mvn release:clean" (clean up the last failed release)
>> 4. "mvn release:prepare" (should work this time)
>> 5. "mvn release:perform"
>>
>> Again, if anyone can help simplify this process (especially step #2
>> above), please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Ryan
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Stephen Connolly
>> <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> do mvn -N install in the parent folder first and then mvn install

>> appreciative.

you too?

Re: can't rev the version of multi-module project

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Heaton <ry...@webcohesion.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Heaton <st...@gmail.com>.