Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/07 14:31:13 UTC

Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Hi,

Is this something we should be concerned with?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/06/mailsploit_email_spoofing_bug/

There was a thread the other day regarding UTF and encoding, but I
don't think this is the same?

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.

>Hi Pedro, yes but I do not have the ability to share it but I've bcc'd someone who does to see if they can mail it to the list.
 >Since the rule I made target effectively all of the mailsploit exploits and it's already public, it should be safe.  But I don't know if he used domains he doesn't want exposed, etc.

Thansk Kevin, please do not worry... i understand it and under no circunstances i would like to put you under any unconfortable situation...7

---PedroD

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 12/8/2017 2:34 AM, Pedro David Marco wrote:
> >The tests are not working because of aws send limits. Unlikely to work.
>
> You are right Kevin... fool me..
>
> is there any pastebin sample???

Hi Pedro, yes but I do not have the ability to share it but I've bcc'd
someone who does to see if they can mail it to the list.

Since the rule I made target effectively all of the mailsploit exploits
and it's already public, it should be safe.  But I don't know if he used
domains he doesn't want exposed, etc.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.

>The tests are not working because of aws send limits. Unlikely to work.
>Regards,
>KAM

You are right Kevin... fool me..
is there any pastebin sample???
----PedroD

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by sh...@shanew.net.
I managed to run a test about an hour ago on my first try, so maybe
AWS upped his limit or demand has slowed down.  Or maybe I just got
lucky...

YMMV

http://pgp.mit.edu/                |      System Admin - UT CompSci
All syllogisms contain three lines |              shanew@shanew.net
Therefore this is not a syllogism  | www.ischool.utexas.edu/~shanew

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Pedro David Marco <pe...@yahoo.com>.
You can get tests here...

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 12/7/2017 4:20 PM, John Hardin wrote:
>>
>>  I was more thinking about coverage for people who aren't using KAM.cf, but
>>  your comment about needing enough examples in the masscheck corpus to
>>  promote and score the rule is relevant - perhaps it is important enough to
>>  add as a base header rule, rather than through ruleqa sandboxes?
>
> I'm guess I don't really know how.  What is your definition of a base header
> rule and what mechanism would you use to publish it as a base rule?

I was thinking of a rule in rules/20_head_test.cf with a fixed score, vs.
one in something like rulesrc/sandbox/jhardin/20_mumble.cf

   At $8 billion per year, the TSA is the most expensive
   theatrical production in history.      -- David Burge @iowahawkblog
  Today: The 76th anniversary of Pearl Harbor

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 12/7/2017 4:20 PM, John Hardin wrote:

> I was more thinking about coverage for people who aren't using KAM.cf,
> but your comment about needing enough examples in the masscheck corpus
> to promote and score the rule is relevant - perhaps it is important
> enough to add as a base header rule, rather than through ruleqa
> sandboxes?

I'm guess I don't really know how.  What is your definition of a base
header rule and what mechanism would you use to publish it as a base
rule?  We effectively build rules as a measure to get an initial install
but ruleqa driven sa-updates are our mechanism for publishing.

Regards,

KAM

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
On 12/8/2017 3:25 AM, Giovanni Bechis wrote:
>>> Unfortunately I cannot know how new added rules will affect my
>> enviroment,
>>> there are also some idn rules that breaks my Puppet instance but
>> that's another story.
>> Agreed.  But how would you know if they are added to sa-update
>> natively?
> Rules that come through sa-update do not have too much high scores, are discussed on ml and svn is my friend as a last resort.

Fair enough.  I don't have a solution for you.

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by Giovanni Bechis <gi...@paclan.it>.
Il 8 dicembre 2017 01:47:47 CET, "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com> ha scritto:
>On 12/7/2017 7:02 PM, Giovanni Bechis wrote:
>scores are completely wrong in my environment (working with strange
>tld, chinese people, medical terms that are sometimes abused, ...), so
>I have to download the file every now and than and "fix it".
>>> If you use a file that is named alphabetically to load after KAM.cf,
>you can just change scores there and it will be maintained from
>download to download.
>>>
>> Unfortunately I cannot know how new added rules will affect my
>enviroment,
>> there are also some idn rules that breaks my Puppet instance but
>that's another story.
>Agreed.  But how would you know if they are added to sa-update
>natively?

Rules that come through sa-update do not have too much high scores, are discussed on ml and svn is my friend as a last resort.
   Giovanni

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by David Jones <dj...@ena.com>.
On 12/07/2017 06:47 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 12/7/2017 7:02 PM, Giovanni Bechis wrote:
>>> If you use a file that is named alphabetically to load after KAM.cf,
>>> you can just change scores there and it will be maintained from
>>> download to download.
>>>
>> Unfortunately I cannot know how new added rules will affect my
>> enviroment,
>> there are also some idn rules that breaks my Puppet instance but
>> that's another story.
> Agreed.  But how would you know if they are added to sa-update natively?

A very simple, short script could grep out the scores from KAM.cf, diff
them from the last run and send him an email when something changes.
Cron it for once every morning and viola!

--
David Jones

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Giovanni Bechis <gi...@paclan.it>.
On 12/08/17 00:59, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 12/7/2017 6:39 PM, Giovanni Bechis wrote:
>> unfortunately I cannot use KAM.cf out of the box because some scores are completely wrong in my environment (working with strange tld, chinese people, medical terms that are sometimes abused, ...), so I have to download the file every now and than and "fix it".
>
> If you use a file that is named alphabetically to load after KAM.cf, you can just change scores there and it will be maintained from download to download.

Unfortunately I cannot know how new added rules will affect my enviroment,
there are also some idn rules that breaks my Puppet instance but that's another story.

> I also welcome feedbacks on scores, FPs and additions.

I will try to take a look.
 Giovanni

Re: Mailsploit and RFC1342 and spoofed From

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by Giovanni Bechis <gi...@paclan.it>.
On 12/08/17 00:19, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> On 12/7/2017 4:20 PM, John Hardin wrote:
>>
>> I was more thinking about coverage for people who aren't using KAM.cf, but your comment about needing enough examples in the masscheck corpus to promote and score the rule is relevant - perhaps it is important enough to add as a base header rule, rather than through ruleqa sandboxes?
>
> It's a hurdle.  As a release artifact, it falls under ASF voting rules and the 3 +1's, 72 hours, etc.  But I agree that we've overcome that hurdle and have mechanisms that people are ok with publishing automated as long as it passed ruleqa.  That is too slow for me so KAM.cf allowed me to publish unilaterally without the delays from the normal voting or automated mechanisms.

unfortunately I cannot use KAM.cf out of the box because some scores are completely wrong in my environment (working with strange tld, chinese people, medical terms that are sometimes abused, ...), so I have to download the file every now and than and "fix it".

It would be fine to use it as a staging for rules that could be promoted to "official" rules later on.
If you can wait, you can use the official channel and you will have updated rules, if you have to deploy rules in minutes you can use KAM.cf.

 Cheers
  Giovanni

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 12/7/2017 11:47 AM, John Hardin wrote:
>>  Is that going into the base SA rules as well?
>
> The SA rule prop system is not conducive to how my company works.  The delays
> are too long to publish rules.  I support it in concept but as of yet do not
> have an easiest lift to support it.
>
> I need rules in minutes not days.  KAM.cf was my solution to that issue but
> we release it under ASLv2.
>
> But with the work spearheaded by Dave and the relight of ruleqa, I'm focused
> on 3.4.2.  Then I'm hoping we can look at publishing rules 2x per day.  I do
> a lot of work on my rules and can't have them kicked out of consideration
> because the corpora says they aren't needed.

I was more thinking about coverage for people who aren't using KAM.cf, but
your comment about needing enough examples in the masscheck corpus to
promote and score the rule is relevant - perhaps it is important enough to
add as a base header rule, rather than through ruleqa sandboxes?

   No representation without taxation!

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:

> On 12/7/2017 9:31 AM, Alex wrote:
>>
>>  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/12/06/mailsploit_email_spoofing_bug/
>
> Same issue and the rule I wrote yesterday effectively blocks all the
> published issues.  I'll make some nuance changes to make it broader against
> the general idea of the attack.  See KAM.cf and MAILSPLOIT.

Is that going into the base SA rules as well?

   ...wind turbines are not meant to actually be an efficient way to
   supply the power grid, rather they're prayer wheels for New Age
   iBuddhists, their whirring blades drawing white guilt from the
   atmosphere and pumping it safely underground.                -- Tam

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.