Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Meeraj Kunnumpurath <M....@voca.com> on 2007/03/22 12:01:50 UTC

Planning kernel release 2.0

Hi,

Now that the SPI is getting stable and we have the initial end-to-end
story for federation working, I would suggest we plan for the final
release for kernel 2.0, with emphasis on federation and user experience.
I was thinking about aiming for a beta in June in time for TSSJS
Barcelona and the final release for August. Maybe we can have couple of
alpha releases from now and June as well. These are the features, I
would like to see in 2.0.

1. Tidy up anything required in physical model, now that it is starting
to take good shape.
2. Tidy up generators from logical to physical model.
3. Fix the JXTA discovery issues, also investigate other discovery
protocols.
4. Federation end-to-end fully completed, this would include, maybe,
profiles advertising their capabilities and the information being used
in intent-based autowiring etc.
5. Intent-based auto wiring
6. Emphasis on end user experience in terms of ease of use.
7. Assembly service, this kind of now related to the generators that
have been introduced in the last week or so
8. Artifact management, especially mobile code when we target components
to remote profiles.

Also, now the SPI has started settling in, we need to start looking at
binding and container extensions as well. Some of the bindings I would
be interested in are,

1. JMS
2. AMQP
3. Hessian

Ta
Meeraj

    You can find us at www.voca.com

This communication is confidential and intended for
the exclusive use of the addressee only. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify
the sender named above immediately.

Registered in England, No 1023742,
Registered Office: Voca Limited
Drake House, Three Rivers Court,
Homestead Road, Rickmansworth,
Hertfordshire, WD3 1FX. United Kingdom

VAT No. 226 6112 87

This message has been checked for all email viruses by MessageLabs.

Re: Planning kernel release 2.0

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
On Mar 23, 2007, at 3:29 AM, ant elder wrote:

> On 3/22/07, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> I don't think the SPI is quite as stable as Dave would like but we
>> should be able to improve things after alpha2. I think we should
>> target an SPI freeze for the beta (June you were suggesting), at
>> least for incompatible changes. To do that we need to have built a
>> couple of bindings/containers on top of it.
>

> I definitely agree we need to get the SPI more stable and that
> having more
> containers and bindings using it will help a lot. I'd like help
> with this
> and to add the Axis2 binding and jsr-223 script container to the
> list of
> extensions already mentioned for this release, i've already started
> work
> fixing these for the latest trunk code.
>
> I'd also like to add the modularity stuff been discussed on other
> threads to
> the content of this release. With the current state of the trunk
> and spi and
> all the extensions needing work to get going again this seems like the
> perfect time to get the trunk code to a state that everyone is
> happy using.
>
>   ...ant
IMO having scripting support is an important thing. At the
ServerSide, one of the things that people liked was the idea of
multiple language support and having Groovy and Javascript is a nice
differentiator. One distinction I would make though is what we are
talking about is a kernel release while extensions would be released
separately. As part of the extension releases, if people wanted,
there could be distributions that package required extensions for
various "scripting" runtimes. The kernel release would be highly
modular and its distributions would include the extensions required
for particular host environments.

Jim

Re: Planning kernel release 2.0

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
What happened to the Kernel Alpha 2 release discussion thread that Jim
started on March 13th. It looks like we are restarting.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
I have some cleanup work to do on work and on scopes but I would
expect to get that done in the next day or so (ready for the next
alpha).

On the physical model, I would like to get the bytecode based IFP
going to simplify the PCD message. We also need to get complex
properties working.

 From the end-user experience, we need to finish implementing the