Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/03/29 20:58:01 UTC

Recommended text for 2.0.6 release notes and for email to user group.

[Note, explaination is left to Jason about full impact of MNG-1577]
How to prepare your dependencies before updating to Maven 2.0.6:

If you have dependencies in dependencyManagement that conflict with
transitive dependencies, the fix for MNG-1577 may alter the version you
get when running a build with 2.0.6. To ensure a smooth transition,
there is a tool to detect these conditions.

In your project, run "mvn dependency:analyze" (be sure to use 2.0.5 or
the plugin won't detect mismatches) This will display output similar to
below:
ou can run "mvn dependency:analyze" on your projects and this will
produce output similar to this:
[INFO] [dependency:analyze]
[INFO] Used declared dependencies:
[INFO]    org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-archiver:jar:1.0-alpha-7:compile
[INFO]    junit:junit:jar:3.8.1:test
[INFO]
org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-container-default:jar:1.0-alpha-9:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.maven:maven-model:jar:2.0.5:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.maven:maven-project:jar:2.0.5:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.maven.shared:file-management:jar:1.1:compile
[INFO]    org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils:jar:1.1:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.maven:maven-artifact:jar:2.0.5:compile
[INFO]    org.apache.maven:maven-plugin-api:jar:2.0.5:compile
[INFO]
org.apache.maven.shared:maven-plugin-testing-harness:jar:1.0-beta-1:test
[INFO]
org.apache.maven.shared:maven-dependency-analyzer:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT:compi
le
[INFO] Used undeclared dependencies:
[INFO]    None
[INFO] Unused declared dependencies:
[INFO]    None
[INFO] Found Resolved Dependency / DependencyManagement mismatches:
[INFO]  Dependency: commons-lang:commons-lang:jar
[INFO]          DepMgt  : 1.0
[INFO]          Resolved: 2.3
[INFO]  Dependency: commons-digester:commons-digester:jar
[INFO]          DepMgt  : 1.6
[INFO]          Resolved: 1.7
[INFO]  Dependency: javax.servlet:servlet-api:jar
[INFO]          DepMgt  : 2.3
[INFO]          Resolved: 2.4
[WARNING] Potential problems found in Dependency Management

In the sample above, you can see that I am actually getting versions
different than what I'm asking for. In 2.0.6, I would suddenly be
upgraded from commons-lang 1.0 to 2.3, commons-digester 1.6 to 1.7 and
servlet-api 2.3 to 2.4. Depending on the jars and your project, this may
manifest as compile errors or runtime errors.

When you see these mismatches, the suggested approach is to adjust your
dependencyManagement section to have the version you are actually
getting (in this case, 2.3,1.7 and 2.4 respectively). Then when you
upgrade to 2.0.6, you will be getting the same versions in your build
that you currently get in 2.0.5. In

You should also pay particular attention to the Used Declared
dependencies because this is showing that you are using something that
isn't declared. The plugin may not detect specific mismatches between
dependencyManagement if the dependencies are not specifically declared.
Using dependencies in your projects that are not declared is a dangerous
proposition as it doesn't provide Maven with the correct information to
properly choose the correct version. The recommended fix for this is to
add any dependencies that analyze finds to your pom.

This goal can also detect conflicts with the dependencyManagement
excludes to show where files that are excluded creep back in and to show
where individual poms override the dependencyManagement. These things
are not directly affected by 2.0.6, but can be handy to know.

Read more here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/analyze-mojo.htm
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/analyze-dep-mgt-
mojo.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/usage.html
(bottom of the page)

After upgrading to 2.0.6, you may want to remove workarounds to MNG-1577
that you have put in place. These usually would have been the
introduction of a dependency to your pom that wasn't nessessary simply
to override a transitive version. If you have workarounds in your pom,
they will show up as Unused declared dependencies. Note that currently
the test and runtime dependencies are excluded from the usage analysis.

--Brian

Re: Recommended text for 2.0.6 release notes and for email to user group.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Cool, thanks Brian.

jason.

RE: CORRECTED: Recommended text for 2.0.6 release notes and for email to user group.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Ok..I did say "Similar to..." I think I generated that sample against
the dependency plugin a while ago.

On 3/29/07, Brian E. Fox <br...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:
> It was released on Tuesday.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: CORRECTED: Recommended text for 2.0.6 release notes and for email to user group.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
then check this line:

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
It was released on Tuesday.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I added this text to the plugin site here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/examples/prepari
ng-dependencies.html

[...]

org.apache.maven.shared:maven-dependency-analyzer:jar:1.0:compile