Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Richard In Public <ed...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/02/21 13:54:30 UTC

Something else about Cocoon-2/Tomcat-4.1.18

Hi,

Another lead for those struggling to setup Cocoon with Tomcat:

1.  Like several other users, I have been served the following error when using Cocoon-2 (Win2000/XP, Tomcat 4.18, JDK1.4.1_01):

org.apache.xml.utils.WrappedRuntimeException:
The output format must have a'{http://xml.apache.org/xslt}content-handler' property!

2.  As others have advised on the cocoon-users list, this problem arises when cocoon is provided with incompatible versions of the Xerces, Xalan or XML-APIS libraries.  This is resolved by copying the following libraries (versions correct for coccon-2.1-dev) from %COCOON_HOME%/lib/endorsed/ to %CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed/

xercesImpl-2.1.0.jar
xalan-2.4.1.jar
xml-apis.jar

3.  This solution works for me when I start Tomcat using startup.bat but *not* when I startup Tomcat as a *service*.  I discovered this after reading the following paragraph:

> The docs at one point only mentioned %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\endorsed
> but later tomcat versions use -Djava.endorsed.dirs to override
> the standard jdk defined location.
[ from: http://www.mail-archive.com/cocoon-users@xml.apache.org/msg22192.html]

I have tried using this parameter (-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%/common/endorsed) as a startup parameter, possibly incorrectly, for the service (via the WindowsXP Service Properties pane) but this does not seem to help.  If I figure out how to do this I will post instructions.  In the meantime, perhaps someone else knows the answer.

Richard