Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/14 16:35:50 UTC

Comparison of menu font sizes

I have created some quick test sites to show how the JMeter index page
looks with various different menu font sizes.

http://jmeter.apache.org/ - original, i.e. 100%

http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter90/ - 90%
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter85/ - 85%
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter80/ - 80%

On my desktop, the 80% size is perhaps starting to get a bit too small
in comparison with the body text, but 100% is definitely too big.

It's much the same on a Hudl2 tablet (landscape mode).

If the menu text size can be reduced, then the layout can be adjusted
to give more space to the body text. I have not done that in the
samples.

[Note: the sites only have the index page; I did not copy the other pages.]

Re: Comparison of menu font sizes

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 18.03.2015 um 07:40 schrieb Andrey Pokhilko:
> I will support Sebb here, my experience says that 80% menu font size is
> the best.
>
> (Although I would totally rework the whole project website to be more
> modern, Bootstrap-based etc).
You can put up a demo. I think the html structure will allow the usage
of a bootstrap like framework, but you would have to add a few class
attributes.

Felix

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 18.03.2015 um 20:01 schrieb sebb:
> On 18 March 2015 at 06:40, Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru> wrote:
>> I will support Sebb here, my experience says that 80% menu font size is
>> the best.
> So shall we settle on 85%?
ok

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 March 2015 at 06:40, Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru> wrote:
> I will support Sebb here, my experience says that 80% menu font size is
> the best.

So shall we settle on 85%?

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 17.03.2015 07:31, schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
> 90% and 85% work fine for me (15" and 27" screens)
>
>> We don't have to have boxes around the menu items it was just an
>> example.
>
> I've just commented those styles in Chrome dev tool, and I think the
> menu looks cleaner without extra borders and shadows.
> .menu {
> /* border: 1px solid lightgray; */
> /* box-shadow: 5px 5px 10px rgba(20, 20, 20, 0.3); */
That is something my better half urged me to do, also. So now we have
two voices for removal of those deco.

I would like to have another means of distinguishing the menu from the
content, though. Any idea?

Felix

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 17. März 2015 02:05:45 MEZ, schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>On 16 March 2015 at 20:56, Felix Schumacher
><fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:
>> Am 14.03.2015 um 16:35 schrieb sebb:
>>>
>>> I have created some quick test sites to show how the JMeter index
>page
>>> looks with various different menu font sizes.
>>>
>>> http://jmeter.apache.org/ - original, i.e. 100%
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter90/ - 90%
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter85/ - 85%
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter80/ - 80%
>>>

>>> On my desktop, the 80% size is perhaps starting to get a bit too
>small
>>> in comparison with the body text, but 100% is definitely too big.
>>
>> In my version on p.a.o/~fschumacher/jmeter I already set the menu
>font to
>> 90%.
>>
>> What do you want with the smaller versions? In my tests with
>~1300x800 we
>> only get a line or two more. That could be achieved with less gaps
>between
>> the boxes also.
>
>It's partly to improve the balance between the sizes so the menu does
>not overpower the body text.
>
>Also it allows the menu to be narrower leaving more room for body text
>on smaller screens.
>
>On revisiting the 90% examples I still think that is a bit too big
>compared with the body text.
In my eyes making the menu text smaller is too small. Maybe I have bad sight.

>> We don't have to have boxes around the menu items it was just an
>example.
>>
>> We could even put the menu as a flat one to the top of the page (can
>be seen
>> in my version, if you use a resolution from 600 to 1000 pixel wide.
>
>That works well for narrower screens; I'm not sure I like it for wider
>screens as one cannot see the second level contents at a glance.

That is why at 1000px (can be adjusted in the media query) the whole menu is again shown on the left hand side.

>>> It's much the same on a Hudl2 tablet (landscape mode).
>>>

>>> If the menu text size can be reduced, then the layout can be
>adjusted
>>> to give more space to the body text. I have not done that in the
>>> samples.
>>
>> If you mean to widen the main text, then I like to point out, that
>wider
>> text lines tend to be harder to read. That is the reason, why I put a
>> max-width of 60em. We could probably add a few em's, if you like. But
>not
>> too much (in my eyes).
>
>It would help if the design decisions were documented in the CSS file
>as comments.
I will put in a few comments.

Felix

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.