Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Clayton Wohl <cl...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/07 09:36:37 UTC

Kafka Connect Parquet Support?

With the Kafka Connect S3 sink, I can choose Avro or JSON output format. Is
there any chance that Parquet will be supported?

For record at a time processing, Parquet isn't a good fit. But for
reading/writing batches of records, which is what the Kafka Connect Sink is
writing, Parquet is generally better than Avro.

Would attempting writing support for this be wise to try or not?

Re: Kafka Connect Parquet Support?

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Theoretically yes, we would want to support this in Confluent's S3
connector. One of the stumbling blocks is that apparently the Parquet code
is somewhat tied to HDFS currently which causes problems when you're not
using the HDFS S3 connectivity. See, e.g.,
https://github.com/confluentinc/kafka-connect-storage-cloud/issues/26, on
the cloud storage/S3 connector.

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Clayton,