Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Daniel Zapata <dz...@bea.com> on 2004/01/19 19:29:30 UTC

exec task and linux

We recently ported our product to linux and are finding a very serious
problem with the <exec/> task behavior as opposed to windows and
solaris.

The linux <exec/> task sometimes blocks unless we redirect the stdout
and stderr to a file or /dev/nul.  We use the exec task in many places
and we are not crazy about the idea of modifying everywhere that we call
exec to do this redirect.  The same build code works on windows and
solaris without this random hanging problem.  Has anyone else
experienced this problem?

Any ideas/fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Re: exec task and linux

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Daniel Zapata <dz...@bea.com> wrote:

> The linux <exec/> task sometimes blocks unless we redirect the
> stdout and stderr to a file or /dev/nul.

It will probably also work if you capture the output in a property.

> We use the exec task in many places and we are not crazy about the
> idea of modifying everywhere that we call exec to do this redirect.

Ant 1.6 and <presetdef> are your friend then.

Stefan
--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/