Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/27 15:56:20 UTC

Using a SQL-esque program to run Hive jobs?

I apologize in advance if this is a basic question... I haven't found a
straight answer to the question, though, and am new to Hive so forgive the
ignorance.

I've done some searching around, and it looks like HUE may be one solution,
but pending looking into that, I was wondering if anyone has used anything
like SQL Workbench to run Hive queries? It'd be nice not to have to use the
command line.

Any help on this front would be appreciated it. How do most people interface
with Hive? Command line? Hue? Something else? I mainly have more ad hoc
stuff in mind.

Thanks for your time
Jon

Re: Using a SQL-esque program to run Hive jobs?

Posted by Kirk True <ki...@mustardgrain.com>.
Hi Jon,

On 12/27/10 6:56 AM, Jonathan Coveney wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is a basic question... I haven't found
> a straight answer to the question, though, and am new to Hive so
> forgive the ignorance.
>
> I've done some searching around, and it looks like HUE may be one
> solution, but pending looking into that, I was wondering if anyone has
> used anything like SQL Workbench to run Hive queries? It'd be nice not
> to have to use the command line.
>
> Any help on this front would be appreciated it. How do most people
> interface with Hive? Command line? Hue? Something else? I mainly have
> more ad hoc stuff in mind.
>
> Thanks for your time
> Jon

You might take a look at Karmasphere Analyst, which was just released
last month:

http://www.karmasphere.com/Products-Information/karmasphere-analyst.html

Disclaimer: I work at Karmasphere.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: Using a SQL-esque program to run Hive jobs?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is a basic question... I haven't found a
> straight answer to the question, though, and am new to Hive so forgive the
> ignorance.
> I've done some searching around, and it looks like HUE may be one solution,
> but pending looking into that, I was wondering if anyone has used anything
> like SQL Workbench to run Hive queries? It'd be nice not to have to use the
> command line.
> Any help on this front would be appreciated it. How do most people interface
> with Hive? Command line? Hue? Something else? I mainly have more ad hoc
> stuff in mind.
> Thanks for your time
> Jon

Besides the cli, hive web interface, hue some people used JDBC Driver
which uses the thrift server and then have access to traditional tools
such as micro-strategy.

Edward