Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/09 12:15:47 UTC

Re: Clarifiying our license criteria

It would also be very useful to document the *intent* of the rules, e.g.

"What we really want is for downstream consumers to feel safe that any
product originating from us is available under the terms of the ALv2."

This makes it easier to understand - and change if requirements change.

An analogy:
Rule: "vehicles must drive on the right"
Rationale/Intent: "vehicles travelling in opposite directions should
be able to pass each other safely"
This allows for the alternative:
Rule: "vehicles must drive on the left"

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.
Done in staging (assuming it'll get pushed tomorrow).

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@outlook.com>.
The intent is documented in the soon to be published apache way doc. Perhaps list content from that?