Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi> on 2002/05/15 14:28:49 UTC

permissions question (environment.xml)

Hi,
Two questions about permissions settings in environment.xml for a phoenix
application:
A. There are two types of permissions setings can be found in examples:
1.
      <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}SAR-INF${/}*">
        <permission class="java.security.AllPermission"/>
      </grant>

2
     <grant code-base="sar:SAR-INF/*">
        <permission class="java.security.AllPermission" />
     </grant>

which one is correct?

2. If I have to let my application read files in any directory under
"app.home" (not inside SAR-INF but one level up) what is the correct way to
set this permission. I've tried to set it the following way (found in
reference-environment-specification.xml):

     <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}*">
        <permission class="java.io.FilePermission"
                    target="${/}*"
                    action="read,write" />
     </grant>

This resulted in "Failed to create permission java.io.FilePermission" upon
Phoenix startup. What is the correct way to set permission for my app to
access (read, write) files inside app.home?

Andrei

Re: permissions question (environment.xml)

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi, sorry for puzzling and putting different questions to one mail.
My question about bugzilla:

>Yesterday I tried to get bugzilla account but response with password never
>came...

(in Subject: Re: question about org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets
package)
was in responce to this mail:

On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:28, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
> Two questions about permissions settings in environment.xml for a phoenix
> application:
> A. There are two types of permissions setings can be found in examples:
> 1.
>       <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}SAR-INF${/}*">
>         <permission class="java.security.AllPermission"/>
>       </grant>
>
> 2
>      <grant code-base="sar:SAR-INF/*">
>         <permission class="java.security.AllPermission" />
>      </grant>
>
> which one is correct?

The second one is better except the URL is of the form "sar:/SAR-INF/*"
(note
extra slash after "sar:"

> 2. If I have to let my application read files in any directory under
> "app.home" (not inside SAR-INF but one level up) what is the correct way
> set this permission. I've tried to set it the following way (found in
> reference-environment-specification.xml):
>
>      <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}*">
>         <permission class="java.io.FilePermission"
>                     target="${/}*"
>                     action="read,write" />
>      </grant>

That looks correct.

> This resulted in "Failed to create permission java.io.FilePermission" upon
> Phoenix startup. What is the correct way to set permission for my app to
> access (read, write) files inside app.home?

Looks like a bug - I will look into it. Could you add an entry on Bugzilla
bug
tracking software for this?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: permissions question (environment.xml)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:28, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Hi,
> Two questions about permissions settings in environment.xml for a phoenix
> application:
> A. There are two types of permissions setings can be found in examples:
> 1.
>       <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}SAR-INF${/}*">
>         <permission class="java.security.AllPermission"/>
>       </grant>
>
> 2
>      <grant code-base="sar:SAR-INF/*">
>         <permission class="java.security.AllPermission" />
>      </grant>
>
> which one is correct?

The second one is better except the URL is of the form "sar:/SAR-INF/*" (note
extra slash after "sar:"

> 2. If I have to let my application read files in any directory under
> "app.home" (not inside SAR-INF but one level up) what is the correct way to
> set this permission. I've tried to set it the following way (found in
> reference-environment-specification.xml):
>
>      <grant code-base="file:${app.home}${/}*">
>         <permission class="java.io.FilePermission"
>                     target="${/}*"
>                     action="read,write" />
>      </grant>

That looks correct.