Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gl...@Flagstar.com on 2002/09/18 23:45:33 UTC

Static content

I am using Apache with Tomcat 3.2.4 and am trying to figure out how the
connector really works.  I am using mod_jk.  Basically, the question I have
is:  Does static content get served up by Apache or Tomcat?  I would like
static content to be served up by Apache, but I'm not confident that it is
in my configuration.  My normal configuration is to have all of my files,
including static content, reside in the <tomcat_home>/webapps/app1
directory.  server.xml is configured such that the docbase for this context
is "/".  My apache config includes the mod_jk.conf-auto, which
automatically generates a "context" for app1 and JkMount directives for
/*.jsp and /servlet/*.  My DocumentRoot in httpd.conf is also pointing to
the same directory (/tomcat/webapps/app1).   Up until now, I assumed that
Apache was only passing on request for jsps or servlets to Tomcat, and that
it was serving up static content itself.  However, now I'm skeptical and
here is why.  If I change the DocumentRoot to a directory outside of the
/tomcat/webapps directory, and place my static content there, things seems
to function as expected.  If I add another context in /tomcat/webapps/test,
with a docbase of /test and place a static file in that context, it stills
gets served up (which I would NOT expect, since my JkMounts say to only
pass .jsp and servlet requests).  This leads me to believe that Apache is
passing  requests to Tomcat based  on the contexts that it knows about thru
mod_jk.conf, and not based on the JkMounts defined therein.  Does anyone
have specifics on how the connector really works?
This correspondence may contain information that is confidential,
proprietary or "non-public personal information", as that term is defined
in the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (collectively, "Confidential Information").
The Confidential Information is disclosed conditioned upon your agreement
that you will treat all Confidential Information confidentially and in
accordance with applicable law, ensure that such information is not used or
disclosed except for the limited purpose for which it is being provided and
will notify and cooperate with Flagstar Bank regarding any requested
disclosure or any unauthorized disclosure or use of any Confidential
Information.  By accepting and reviewing the Confidential Information you
agree to indemnify Flagstar Bank against any losses or expenses, including
attorney's fees that Flagstar Bank may incur as a result of any
unauthorized use or disclosure of the Confidential Information due to your
acts or omissions.  If this correspondence is received by a party other
than the intended recipient, you are requested to immediately notify us of
the erroneous delivery and return to us all information so delivered.