Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeremie Miller <jm...@mwci.net> on 1996/04/06 20:21:20 UTC

PUT /foo.html HTTP/1.0

This came from using the Publish-via-http in NavGold...

accept ok
4: 528 1078 205 254 160 21
4: PUT /www_mwci_net.html HTTP/1.0
4: Connection: Keep-Alive
4: User-Agent: Mozilla/2.01Gold (Win95; I)
4: Pragma: no-cache
4: Host: subcellar:2010
4: Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
4: Content-Length: 3358
4:

Never knew there was a PUT in HTTP/1.0 ???

I see that Apache just treats it as a POST, correct?

Jeremie Miller
jmiller@mwci.net

Re: PUT /foo.html HTTP/1.0

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Jeremie Miller wrote:

> This came from using the Publish-via-http in NavGold...

I assume you mean Netscape Navigator Gold?

> accept ok
> 4: 528 1078 205 254 160 21
> 4: PUT /www_mwci_net.html HTTP/1.0
> 4: Connection: Keep-Alive
> 4: User-Agent: Mozilla/2.01Gold (Win95; I)
> 4: Pragma: no-cache
> 4: Host: subcellar:2010
> 4: Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*
> 4: Content-Length: 3358
> 4:
>
> Never knew there was a PUT in HTTP/1.0 ???

Indeed there is. Right there in Appendix D of draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-05.txt:

D.1.1 PUT

   The PUT method requests that the enclosed entity be stored under
   the supplied Request-URI. If the Request-URI refers to an already
   existing resource, the enclosed entity should be considered as a
   modified version of the one residing on the origin server. If the
   Request-URI does not point to an existing resource, and that URI is
   capable of being defined as a new resource by the requesting user
   agent, the origin server can create the resource with that URI.

   The fundamental difference between the POST and PUT requests is
   reflected in the different meaning of the Request-URI. The URI in a
   POST request identifies the resource that will handle the enclosed
   entity as data to be processed. That resource may be a
   data-accepting process, a gateway to some other protocol, or a
   separate entity that accepts annotations. In contrast, the URI in a
   PUT request identifies the entity enclosed with the request -- the
   user agent knows what URI is intended and the server should not
   apply the request to some other resource.

> I see that Apache just treats it as a POST, correct?

Sort of. The only method Apache handles internally is GET. However, it
will pass POST, PUT and DELETE to CGI scripts, and they can do with
them whatever they want.

Myself, I'm glad to see that Netscape is using an existing standard,
instead of creating something new. Hmm. Y'know, the CERN httpd had
(has? Who knows anymore...) a set of directives; Search, POST-Script,
PUT-Script, DELETE-Script; that let you specify a default CGI script
for processing GET (w/ query string), POST, PUT and DELETE requests
directly, if someone else didn't get to them first. I think it might
be worthwhile to put that into Apache. Shouldn't be all that
hard. I'll look into it.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>