Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrew Stevens <at...@hotmail.com> on 2006/07/20 20:17:31 UTC

Log4j configuration

I'm using Cocoon 2.1.7 (haven't had time to upgrade & test our sites with
2.1.9 yet).  How does the WEB-INF/log4j.xconf file get used? i.e. when is it
read and processed?

Our app uses a handful of other servlets & filters in addition to Cocoon,
which call log4j directly; there's a log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes,
which I was expecting to be picked up automatically by the BasicConfigurator
when the first category is obtained from the LogManager.  However, I'm
finding that the log doesn't contain a lot of the entries I was expecting to
see in there, so my suspicion is that Cocoon has already configured (or
reconfigures) log4j before my servlet gets called, and disables debugging on
my servlet's category.  Does the logkit configuration have any effect on
this e.g. does logkit delegate to log4j or do its own thing?  Perhaps
there's another log4j.properties being picked up from elsewhere on the
classpath, since the log4j.xconf looks like it ought to be setting things up
for debug level also.  At any rate, I'm trying to trace where and when
Cocoon might call the configurator - can anyone save me some time wading
through the source and point me to it?  Thanks.

Andrew.