Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2020/09/01 08:15:50 UTC

Re: Jenkins builds limited to 15 minutes?

Hi Bertrand,

On Mon, 2020-08-31 at 18:26 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Sling/job/modules/job/sling-org-apache-sling-launchpad-testing/
> has been failing often lately, and IIUC it's timing out after 15
> minutes.
>
> I see at
> https://github.com/apache/sling-tooling-jenkins/blob/fc0216b06b682a670e41a26e5f256b3fa8c76280/src/org/apache/sling/jenkins/SlingJenkinsHelper.groovy#L63
> a hardcoded 15 minutes timeout, is there a simple way to override
> that, or do we need changes to that helper?

We don't have a way to change that ATM, so we could either:

- change the timeout to a higher value
- allow it to be configurable

However, what is not clear to me yet is why the builds time out. We are
using the 'activity: true' parameter, which configures the build to

  timeout after no activity in logs for this block instead of absolute
  duration.

as per [1].

So either the 'activity' parameter is not taken into account _or_ we
really have 15 minutes without activity. Perhaps we should check the
timestamps?

Robert

[1]: https://www.jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/steps/workflow-basic-steps/#timeout-enforce-time-limit

Re: Jenkins builds limited to 15 minutes?

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2020-09-01 at 12:26 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...I would then suggest
> > 1. bump out the timeout to 30 minutes, to get the builds unstuck..
>
> +1
>
> I forgot if we need to deploy the script at [1] after modifying it,
> or
> is it pulled in automatically?

It is pulled in automatically, as long as the changes land on the
master branch.

> > 2. file an issue with INFRA and ask them to check if we are doing
> > something wrong...
>
> I suspect the users might help as well, I have asked on the builds@
> list [2] - maybe we wait a bit on answers to that before creating an
> INFRA ticket?

Sounds good!

Thanks,
Robert

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 12:03 PM Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I would then suggest
> 1. bump out the timeout to 30 minutes, to get the builds unstuck..

I have made that change now, [1] says "Timeout set to expire after 30
min without activity" - looks good.

-Bertrand

[1] https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Sling/job/modules/job/sling-org-apache-sling-launchpad-testing/job/master/70/consoleFull

Re: Jenkins builds limited to 15 minutes?

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

[2] https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Sling/job/modules/job/sling-org-apache-sling-launchpad-testing/job/master/

Re: Jenkins builds limited to 15 minutes?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...So either the 'activity' parameter is not taken into account _or_ we
> really have 15 minutes without activity. Perhaps we should check the
> timestamps?..

Looking at [1], log of the last successful build:

  09:13:40 Connecting to https://api.github.com ... (build starts)
  Timeout set to expire after 15 min without activity
  Finished at: 2020-08-31T09:27:02Z ... (last build)

That build took close to 14 minutes, so it looks like it is on the
edge of a 15 minutes timeout indeed.

But it is active during these 15 minutes so I'm not sure if the

[1] https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Sling/job/modules/job/sling-org-apache-sling-launchpad-testing/job/master/68/consoleFull