Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by sodium <so...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/30 05:23:32 UTC

Tapestry5 future compatiblity?

Hi,

I am still deciding whether to choose Tapestry5 for my upcoming project. I
was reading a lot how each version of Tapestry isn't backward compatible
with older version and how migrating the code to new Tapestry is a
nightmare. I like Tapestry declaractive model but my priority in choosing a
framework is the ease of migrating to the newer version.

So is there any information on regards to whether Tapestry 6 being rehauled
again ? Is this the right time to step into Tapestry or should i wait till
near GA release?

Re: Tapestry5 future compatiblity?

Posted by Angelo Chen <an...@yahoo.com.hk>.
Hi,

That's a good news, I have a 5.0.18 app waiting for that to upgrade.

Angelo

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Just search the archives for "Tapestry 6" and see what you find.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM, sodium <so...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am still deciding whether to choose Tapestry5 for my upcoming project. I
> was reading a lot how each version of Tapestry isn't backward compatible
> with older version and how migrating the code to new Tapestry is a
> nightmare. I like Tapestry declaractive model but my priority in choosing a
> framework is the ease of migrating to the newer version.
>
> So is there any information on regards to whether Tapestry 6 being rehauled
> again ? Is this the right time to step into Tapestry or should i wait till
> near GA release?

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry
Director of Open Source Technology at Formos

Re: Tapestry5 future compatiblity?

Posted by Bryan Lewis <jb...@gmail.com>.
That agrees well with my T3-4-5 experience over the last five years.  Once I
committed to T5, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared from all the mailing-list
discussion. (Note to self:  The list is mainly about problems.)  It felt
familiar, the "concepts translated well".

Getting accustomed to Maven and Jetty (both new to me) was more of a hump
than Tapestry.  The quick-start tutorial worked well... getting that first
page running is a big help.

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <P....@albourne.com>.
> was reading a lot how each version of Tapestry isn't backward compatible
> with older version and how migrating the code to new Tapestry is a
> nightmare.
I also did the migration... developer time = money, so this is a very valid concern, but Tapestry 5 is worth it! You will gain in productivity in the long run. From 5 onwards backwards compatibility is to be maintained.

>Is this the right time to step into Tapestry or should i wait till
> near GA release?
That depends on your situation / view of course, but let me mention that we have been very pleased with Tapestry 5, running in production for at least a year now, at first on snapshots (we took the chance), and have had no show-stoppers, in fact we found Tapestry 5 in general is very stable.

Peter

Posted by Andy Pahne <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sodium <so...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks a lot for all the input folks. Putting aside my doubt for future
compatiblity for now, I think i might give Tapestry5 a try cause i found it
to be pretty straight forward especially when i come from J2EE, and Jboss
seam background.

And to say that i remember reading somewhere how Tapestry community isn't
active is such an understatement indeed. Howard himself is even the first
person to reply to this thread, i am impressed.

RE: Tapestry5 future compatiblity?

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
> I am still deciding whether to choose Tapestry5 for my upcoming
> project. I
> was reading a lot how each version of Tapestry isn't backward
> compatible
> with older version and how migrating the code to new Tapestry is a
> nightmare. I like Tapestry declaractive model but my priority in
> choosing a
> framework is the ease of migrating to the newer version.

I recently migrated our application from 5.0 to 5.1 and it was mostly seamless. The issues were mostly bugs, which considering I was migrating to a pre-release version of 5.1 that's to be expected. It was worth it for the new stuff to us, and it also helped get 5.1 GA ready. (very close now I think) This app has had 9 developers working for a year so there's a lot there to migrate.

> So is there any information on regards to whether Tapestry 6 being
> rehauled
> again ? Is this the right time to step into Tapestry or should i wait
> till
> near GA release?

Tapestry 6 is not planned by Howard at all and I don't ever see the need for it. I would get the latest beta of T5.1 and jump right in. It's in a pretty solid state now.

Cheers,

Andy.