Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net> on 2011/03/22 21:44:27 UTC

GSoC 2011

Hi everyone,

This e-mail is intended to all students who are planning on applying for
Google Summer of Code 2011, having Derby as their organization.

It would seem that this year, contrary to the trend experienced in the last
couple of years, I will be the only person who will be mentoring for Apache
Derby. With that said, and considering I have limited free time, there will
also only be one GSoC project that students can apply to.

There have been a few (at least 2 or 3?) students who manifested their
intentions of applying for this position, so some competition is expected.
Unfortunately, I really can only take one student in the end.

I've made a selection of a few issues that would be interesting to see
solved as part of GSoC and they are aggregated under JIRA's DERBY-5091.

As you probably all know (or should know), the application period for
students is between the 28th of March and 8th of April, so make sure you
have at least checked out our SVN trunk, compiled Derby and obviously, if
you have shown previous engagement with the community by solving issues even
before the program starts, this will influence your likelihood of getting
chosen for this project.

To apply, you will also need a good application submission, demonstrating
knowledge about what the project entails and a good schedule of how you plan
on progressing through the issues submitted on DERBY-5091. This is,
obviously, up to you, but you can have a look at what I did last year as a
student: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/Tiago_Espinha

It also needs to be mentioned that I will be mentoring with the help and
experience of Katherine Marsden (kmarsden @ irc) as this is in fact, my
first year mentoring. Also, obviously, you have our great community that you
are encouraged to interact with as that is the true spirit of open source
software. From my own experience, people in this mailing list are always
more than happy to help.

I would also like to once again point to this wiki page:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers which I believe all GSoC
prospects should read if they are serious about applying for Derby. We have
a fairly rich wiki, so I really encourage all students to have a read
through important pages like this:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertOldTestToJunitTips .

Finally, it should also be noted that this year, an IRC interview will also
count as a plus towards your application's acceptance. It's not mandatory,
but it will enhance your chances. I usually hang around on IRC under the
username etiago, so feel free to ping me so that we can have a chat about
your application.

I think that's all I wanted to cover. Good luck to all students! :-)

Cheers,
Tiago

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Houx Zhang <ho...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your encourage, Kathey.

In my working on "convert ijConnName.sql to a ScriptTest junit test"[1],   I
was advised by Myrna that "Though tempting to convert this to a straight
junit test, where you have more control over the output, the name
(ijConnName) indicates this is a test intended to test the ij commands to
manage connections."

It seems that, straight junt test case is the first choice when converting,
its benefit is to get more control. ScriptTestCase is just suitable for
testing related to a specified field of ij. So maybe the converting based on
ScriptTestCase should focus on a limited scope, maybe primarily including
the sql scripts named containing a "ij".

What's your opinion?

2011/3/25 Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>

> On 3/24/2011 9:15 AM, Houx Zhang wrote:
>

>> We have a lot of sql script tests should be test based on ij[1],  just
>> like "convert ijConnName.sql to a ScriptTest junit test"[2] ,but some
>> modification is required, these tests should be converted. While there are
>> more sql scripts can not be converting to ScriptTestCase as stuff like
>> seding and timestamp, these tests should be converted by extending
>> BaseJDBCTestCase directly or marked out at least to help future converting.
>>
>> I think the converting based on ij is an interesting and independent idea,
>> and hope Tiago and some probable mentor can think about it.
>>
>>  Thank you Houx for looking at the conversions.  I agree that we should
>  use ScriptTestCase to bring as many scripts as we can into the JUnit suite.
>   The conversion effort has been taking years and years and I think  it
> would be very worthwhile to run all the script tests through ScriptTestCase
> and see if we can tackle a big chunk that way.
>

> Kathey
>

>  Houx Zhang
>>

>> [1]http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertSqlScriptTestsToJunit
>> [2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5084

Regards

--
Houx Zhang

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 3/23/2011 7:50 AM, Houx Zhang wrote:

> Thanks for your work on this GSOC. As you said, there is just one
> Derby project idea this year? However, I have seen another two issues
> labelled with GSOC2011, they are "Add compatibility tests to explore
> behavior differences between Derby and other DBMS implementations"[1]
> and "Support for FULL OUTER JOIN"[2.]. What happened to these two issues?

Hello Houx,

You can make your proposal for one of the other ideas or for any idea
you want, but the one thing that you want to be aware of is that it is
really critical to have a mentor interested in picking up applications
for the project.

Right now Tiago is the only mentor that has come forward, but I am still
hoping that more will.  By making a proposal for test and fix, you know
at least there is a mentor looking for a student, but it could be that
if you proposed something different and could inspire a mentor to be
interested in that project, you might be an even better position.

Here are some thoughts I had on GSoC this year.

http://old.nabble.com/Derby-GSoc-2011-ts31120173.html#a31122152

Thanks

Kathey

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Houx Zhang <ho...@gmail.com>.
2011/3/23 Tiago Espinha <ti...@espinhas.net>

> Hi everyone,
>
> This e-mail is intended to all students who are planning on applying for
> Google Summer of Code 2011, having Derby as their organization.
>
> It would seem that this year, contrary to the trend experienced in the last
> couple of years, I will be the only person who will be mentoring for Apache
> Derby. With that said, and considering I have limited free time, there will
> also only be one GSoC project that students can apply to.

Thanks for your work on this GSOC. As you said, there is just one Derby
project idea this year? However, I have seen another two issues labelled
with GSOC2011, they are "Add compatibility tests to explore behavior
differences between Derby and other DBMS implementations"[1] and "Support
for FULL OUTER JOIN"[2.]. What happened to these two issues?

Anyway, as a student interested in "Derby Test and Fix 2011 GSoC Project", I
will still focus on my work on testing and fixing. I have set up my build
and test environment, furthermore, you can see my work on "convert
ijConnName.sql to a ScriptTest junit test"[3] and ""[4]. It seems I have met
some difficulty, but I will carry on. To try, to challenge and to make
progress, I think that's what I can harvest in this GSOC. Besides, as my
heavy school work recently, I will do my contribution primarily in weekends.

Wish for your reply!

[1.]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4586
[2.]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4832
[3.]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5084
[4.]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-4443

--
Houx Zhang

Re: GSoC 2011

Posted by Houx Zhang <ho...@gmail.com>.

> I would also like to once again point to this wiki page:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ForNewDevelopers which I believe all GSoC
> prospects should read if they are serious about applying for Derby. We have
> a fairly rich wiki, so I really encourage all students to have a read
> through important pages like this:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ConvertOldTestToJunitTips .

The two links are helpful to me, improved my understanding on Derby testing
and has sped up my converting work. Thanks!

regards
--
Houx Zhang