Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Jason <jt...@cartmanager.net> on 2003/06/19 21:43:03 UTC

Mod_Perl 1 vs 2

Is it possible to install both mod_perl 1 and 2 on the same machine?  I tried and received a warning stating that mod_perl 1 was
already installed....

IE I have an apache 1.x server, and want to be able to do some side-by-side comparisons/tests with an apache 2.x server.  Do I need
separate machines or can I safely install both on the same?

Thanks.

Re: Mod_Perl 1 vs 2

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Jason wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to install both mod_perl 1 and 2 on the same
>>machine?  I tried and received a warning stating that mod_perl
>>1 was already installed....
>>
>>IE I have an apache 1.x server, and want to be able to do some
>>side-by-side comparisons/tests with an apache 2.x server.  Do I
>>need separate machines or can I safely install both on the
>>same?
>

> It should be possible to install both - when building mod_perl 2,
> make sure to give 'perl Makefile.PL' the MP_INST_APACHE2=1
> argument, so the Perl files get installed under an Apache2/
> subdirectory so as not to overwrite a mod_perl 1 installation.
> With mod_perl 2 you then have to use the Apache2.pm modules as,
> for example, in a startup script or with a PerlModule directive
> in order to add this to @INC.

And it's all documented online:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html#toc_Configuring_mod_perl
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#Accessing_the_mod_perl_2_0_Modules