Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Василий Саржинский <va...@mail.ru> on 2013/08/29 15:55:50 UTC

Apache Tika for Android

Hello!

Is Apache Tika extract text from pdf file into txt on Android?
Is Apache Tika free for commercial use (for development)?
Thanks!

With Best Regards,
Vasiliy Sarzhinskiy

Re[2]: Apache Tika for Android

Posted by Василий Саржинский <va...@mail.ru>.
 Hi, Oleg!

Thanks a lot for your response.
Yes, Tika is written on Java and so it can run on any JVM. But Android work in DVM (Dalvik Virtual Machine), and so I don't understand, how it can work in Android.
Tika depends on pdfbox, and pdfbox depends on other libraries, that exist in .jar. But on Android for running I need code (not jar). Could you, please, understand me that?

Thanks!

Четверг, 29 августа 2013, 18:17 +03:00 от Oleg Tikhonov <ol...@gmail.com>:
>Hi, Vasily,
>Welcome aboard !
>Just keep in mind, Tika is written on Java, so it can run on any JVM which supports that.
>For starters please refer to:  http://tika.apache.org/1.4/gettingstarted.html
>Generally, Tika supports extracting most known type including PDFs.
>Apache Tika is Apache Software License v.2, see  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 .
>Yes, it can be used for commerce (development & sale).
>
>Hope, it helps.
>

>On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Василий Саржинский  < vasiliy.sarzhinskiy@mail.ru > wrote:
>>
>>Hello!
>>
>>Is Apache Tika extract text from pdf file into txt on Android?
>>Is Apache Tika free for commercial use (for development)?
>>Thanks!
>>

>>With Best Regards,
>>Vasiliy Sarzhinskiy

With Best Regards,