Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sirisha Akkala <ak...@Colorado.edu> on 2008/12/07 06:06:57 UTC

Q about storage architecture

Hi
I would like to know if Hadoop architecture more resembles SAN or NAS? -I'm guessing it is NAS.
Or does it fall under a totally different category? If so, can you please email brief information?

thanks,sirisha.

Re: Q about storage architecture

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Bryan Duxbury wrote:
> If you are considering using it as a conventional filesystem from a few
> clients, then it most resembles NAS. However, I don't think it makes
> sense to try and classify it as SAN or NAS. HDFS is a distributed
> filesystem designed to be consumed in a massively distributed fashion,
> so it does fall into its own category.

"datacentre scale distributed file system with location awareness"
-single datacentre only; not directly for long haul use, though its
sub-posix semantics map well to DAV and other long-haul front ends
-the location of data is not hidden from the job managers that want to
run work near the job.

I'd compare with GFS and Amazon S3 rather than NAS/SAN systems, which
are normally trying to hide the fact there is networked storage underneath

-steve

Re: Q about storage architecture

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
If you are considering using it as a conventional filesystem from a
few clients, then it most resembles NAS. However, I don't think it
makes sense to try and classify it as SAN or NAS. HDFS is a
distributed filesystem designed to be consumed in a massively
distributed fashion, so it does fall into its own category.

-Bryan

Posted by Sagar Naik <sn...@attributor.com>.
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.18.2/hdfs_design.html