Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/10 22:03:13 UTC

artwork for cordova

I poked around the cordova doc git repo to see if there was any artwork
lying around we could reuse on the CMS.  Didn't see any.  Did I miss it, or
do we really have nothing?  If we have nothing, any possibility that Adobe
would be willing to contribute any pre-existing PhoneGap artwork to
cordova?   OTOH, good excuse to come up with some new artwork.  :-)

cordova-doc git repo:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cordova-docs.git;a=tree

CMS: http://incubator.apache.org/callback/

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Nice work Yohei.

My vote is the robot. It scales will from 2D => 3D, low-res => high-res. It
can also become a mascot figure for Cordova.

Michael

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Olivier Brand <ol...@passbox.com>.
I also prefer the robot.
Quick question, I may have
Missed it: why Cordova?

Olivier

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@gmail.com>.
I like the street sign :)

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.
I want a sticker of the street sign.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Ken Wallis <kw...@rim.com>.
Agreed.
________________________________

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
I prefer the robot as well.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:28, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> wrote:

> So I got two designs to show for now.

I like them both, and don't see why we can't use both of them.

Couple of notes on the street sign.

- I think we should get rid of the "ST".  There's enough homage to the
original sign, and the ST is just going to confuse people.  "What's the ST
for?"  A decade+ ago, I would have wondered if this was something for
Smalltalk.  :-)

- I think maybe the pole is overkill.  One nice thing about the street sign
is that it''ll make for a good horizontal image (and vertical, just
rotating it 90 deg).  But then the pole kind of sticks out of the bottom.
 The other thing about the pole is that it makes it a little more obvious
that it's a street sign.  Might as well add some mystery.  Removing the
"ST" also removes clues.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Josh Marinacci <jo...@marinacci.org>.
I prefer the robot. It's more squarish and will work well for icons.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: artwork for cordova

Thanks Colene.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Thanks Colene.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
nice!!!

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
Haha, looks like the Sesame Street sign :D

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Colene Chow <co...@adobe.com>.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> wrote:
> http://cl.ly/1L1b421B3F0X2R3j0O29

Nice!

> Thanks for the guidelines Jukka. Let me know if this meets Apache's
> branding requirement (I did not put the feathre in there).

The "Powered by" concept is for use as a "Powered by Apache Cordova"
or "Powered by Cordova" graphics targeted at third parties who are
using Cordova. For example a downstream PhoneGap distribution by Adobe
would be "Powered by Cordova". Thus I'd drop the "Powered by" part
from the main project logo.

You could try how it'd look with the smaller "Apache" on top of the
main "Cordova" text, a bit like in the example logos I pointed to,
since the official name of the project is "Apache Cordova" (think of
"Microsoft Windows" or "Adobe Photoshop").

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>.
Hey guys,

So from what I understand, for me to be accepted to the committer list, I need to be voted in first. Is that correct Jukka? If that is the case, could someone start PMC private discussion about this? Thank you!

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Jukka,

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: artwork for cordova

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 16:14, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> wrote:

> http://cl.ly/0F2F1j2H0M2i3i31391w
>
> I've zipped Cordova related assets there.
>
> Under Icon, you'll find size 512~16 with transparent background. You'll
> also find Android and iOS icon specific sizes. Under logo, you'll find the
> logo with "APACHE CORDOVA" text in 4 different variations.

Awesome!  I'd like to get this on the CMS.  It would be great if you could
check these into an existing project like cordova-docs or something,
assuming you're allowed to commit (and if you're not, make yourself allowed
to commit).  Check in the individual files, not the .zip file.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: artwork for cordova

On 2012-01-12, at 7:34 AM, Patrick Mueller wrote:

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 16:34, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>> wrote:

For consistency, I think we should just stick to one logo, and the robot
one seemed to be more popular so this is what I propose:
http://cl.ly/1L1b421B3F0X2R3j0O29

Continuing to look good, mostly.

I made an attempt at cropping some of the images into squares and reducing
to favicon size - 32x32 - without good success.  The robot head was not
distinguishable, and I couldn't get a decent background given the existing
images, or even deleting the backgrounds into transparency.  None of my
attempts looked very good.

I think we'll want a specialized set of icons based on the robot head -
32x32 up through 512x512, so that we can use these to create the odd 47x47
(or whatever) icons that iOS uses.  Say squares of 32, 64, 128, and 512px.
We may want "dark" and "light" themes, as well as "color" and "mono"
themes, which you're obviously already playing with.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: artwork for cordova