Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/29 15:34:18 UTC

progress on mavenizing eclipse plugins

So after sitting down yesterday and doing a little reading... I have a
much better understanding of Maven. :) I've decided to go with using M2,
one of the reasons which I'm probably going to end up having to write a
plugin and want to avoid massive jelly scripts. :)

M1 provided a convenient jar override feature where I could the specify
the explicit path to dependencies outside of the repo.  This makes
things easier as I can just point to the
${eclipse-home}/plugins/blah.jar.  Unfortunately M2 doesn't have this.
So after talking to some of the very helpful Maven folks, the only
current way to do this is to have the eclipse jars inside the local
repo.  To make it even more painful, from looks of things I don't think
I can just can't download an eclipse image, and do a "select-all" and
copy in the all jars.  It looks like I'm going to have to create the
"maven convention" path for each jar.

So from an Eclipse install, for each plugin I would need to copy and
rename the jar from

${eclipse-install}/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources_3.1.0.jar

to...

${local_repo}/eclipse-plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/3.1.0/org.eclipse.core.resources-3.1.0.jar

I'm still having issues though as even when I try to build offline it is
attempting to download from the remote repo the dependency's .pom, and
thus the build fails.  Sent a note on the Maven dev list for a solution
to prevent it from doing this and look directly in the local repo.

Thanks and will give an update when I make further progress.

Sachin.

Re: progress on mavenizing eclipse plugins

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 30, 2005, at 1:53 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Geir,
>
> Plan for this is to have the m2 CLI detect project.xml and run
> Maven 1.1 embedded. I think I had this mostly working, but it
> hasn't been bundled with a release yet. I'll take another look.

Perfect!  Saves me the work.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: progress on mavenizing eclipse plugins

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Geir,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Sachin Patel wrote:
> Due to the current debates :) I'm trying to do both M1 and M2 in
> parallel, but probably M2 will be finished first.

Thank you, I think this ultimately will be the best solution.

Jeff

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: progress on mavenizing eclipse plugins

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
Correction: ${m1-repo}/group/jars/artifact-1.0.jar

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
I'm with david on this.

Normally, I would encourage Sachin to use m1, but the eclipse build
depends on having transitive dependencies and m1 doesn't have them.
I think having an m2 build is better then having no build, which is
what I think we would get with m1.

-dain

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
well, I disagree....

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree that downloading 2 build tools for end users is bad.
However, for this particular case I don't think doing this is AS bad.
 From a users standpoint, there going to just download the built image

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.