Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/02 00:32:05 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Hi Justin,

It's been awhile, but I wanted to follow up on some of these things to
ensure progress is being made.

A quick search still shows there are issues there by other 3rd parties, for
> example:
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-wktuc2vochjwe
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-g6q3udlslbcpy
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/prodview-4q2otjyhc4acs
>
> I think that does still include a company that the PPMC is involved with?

 We have discussed this with trademarks@, and at this point, there is no
action to take.

> > Can you please elaborate on this? I'm guessing we should have Apache
> > included in the main logo image.
>
> It is not a requirement to do that, but it may be a good idea, especially
> where there is a lot of misuse of the brand. In the past, we asked a few
> projects to add apache to their logos.
>
> My issue is more where is Apache first mentioned on that homepage? Would
> someone clearly know this is an Apache project or product? Please see [1]
> and [2] for what is needed here, but rather the exact rules, try to convey
> that this is an Apache project run by a community. The current site IMO
> fall short on both criteria.

Thanks for the feedback. We have made some changes to the website to make
it more clear it's an Apache project, but there's further work that could
be done and I'll work with the community to get this going.

It not just the home page BTW, e.g. at
> https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/versions/1.9.1/trusted_by it states
> "These are some of the organizations that use MXNet.” The product name is
> “Apache MXNext” not MXNet. The name should also bee treated as a trademark.

Noted and fixed.

> A quick look some further issues on there pages such as [4], [5] where
> there are also issues with 3rd party product name listed, [6], and even on
> the GitHub repo [7]. This is from a casual glance and I assume there are
> probably further issues.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the github repo; was it
branding issues in the README.md?

> BTW it looks like your getting started / download page is also broken.

Appreciate the feedback and got this fixed.

> Kind Regards,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#naming
> 2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs#checklist
> 3. https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/#integrateswith
> 4. https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/versions/1.9.1/features
> 5. https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/versions/1.9.1/ecosystem
> 6. https://mxnet.incubator.apache.org/versions/1.9.1/api
> 7. https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet

Regards,
Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache MXNet (incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks for the feedback. We have made some changes to the website to make
> it more clear it's an Apache project, but there's further work that could
> be done and I'll work with the community to get this going.

While improved there could be more done here, IMO It's important to get a good example to lessen the misuse by 3rd parties.

> I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the github repo; was it
> branding issues in the README.md?

Yes the README.md text show on that page and it had a number of issues.

Kind Regards,
Justin