Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Adam Griffiths <ne...@adam-griffiths.co.uk> on 2003/11/05 13:02:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: starting httpd as a non-root user

Here is a transcript running without the &:

[...]$ httpd -X -D SSL -D NONROOT

[...]$

I hit enter and get no error message and there is no error message in the
log either...

-Adam

[users@httpd] Re: Re: starting httpd as a non-root user

Posted by Adam Griffiths <ne...@adam-griffiths.co.uk>.
The version of apachectl on my server doesn't work, it fails with:
  line 26: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory
However,
  $ http -t
returns:
  Syntax OK

Re: [users@httpd] Re: starting httpd as a non-root user

Posted by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net>.

Posted by Adam Griffiths <ne...@adam-griffiths.co.uk>.
A normal start-up of httpd (i.e via etc/rc and as root gives the error log
show bellow.

I noticed mention of suEXEC, could this be anything do with the problem,
i.e. when I'm trying to start as a non-root user might this conflict with
the suEXEC mechanism?

-Adam

[Wed Nov  5 12:37:40 2003] [info] created shared memory segment #802422829
[Wed Nov  5 12:37:40 2003] [notice] Apache/1.3.28 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux)
AxKit/1.62 mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_perl/1.26 config
ured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Nov  5 12:37:40 2003] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/sbin/suexec)
[Wed Nov  5 12:37:40 2003] [info] Server built: Aug 18 2003 12:10:52
[Wed Nov  5 12:37:40 2003] [notice] Accept mutex: flock (Default: flock)

Posted by Adam Griffiths <ne...@adam-griffiths.co.uk>.
with:

Posted by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net>.

Posted by Adam Griffiths <ne...@adam-griffiths.co.uk>.

Posted by Dan Trainor <da...@cavecreek.net>.
What if you were to run apachectl configcheck, does that come back with
any errors, or does it report 'Syntax OK'?