Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2005/08/26 21:39:05 UTC

Re: mavenization

Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> distribution is maven agnostic, though: we give the source,
> the dependencies in a lib folder and a working ant build.xml
> for people to use in the distribution

Good to hear.  Not everyone wants to use Maven.  Someone recently did a
check and found that less than 15% of the Java projects use it.  The rest
(85%+) all use Ant.

	--- Noel

Re: mavenization

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. I know what you are talking about now.

I should probably clarify this then having spoken to him:
- this was mostly a gut feeling as it wasn't comprehensive
- it was only across the ASF and for all projects (not just Java)

Cheers,
Brett

RE: mavenization

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: mavenization

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Noel,

Do you have a reference for this? Interesting.

Anyway, I agree with the above point. It doesn't need to be an
either/or. Maven will generate a pretty decent ant build file for
compiling/testing/packaging and it isn't too onerous to use it for the
less frequent tasks. Of course, anyone that wants to use Ant is
welcome to maintain the build file too - there's no reason both can't
be there.