Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com> on 2001/12/13 05:33:42 UTC

RHS Null Assignment Documentation

I've attempted to write a small section for the user guide documenting
that assignment of a null RHS does not remove an existing reference from
the context.  In addition, I made a one line change to the VTL reference
as well.

When I first started using Velocity, this caused me some confusion
because it was counter-intuitive (at least for me).  I've also been
lurking on this list for a couple of months and noticed that others have
been confused by this as well.  I thought I'd try to clarify this
behavior in the existing docs to help eliminate the confusion.

I know that this behavior may change in the future, but in the meantime
it might be helpful to have it spelled out clearly in the documentation
for the newcomers.

Feel free to change it, I don't claim to be a technical writer!!

Thanks,
Pete

--
Peter Kazmier                                 http://www.kazmier.com
PGP Fingerprint   4FE7 8DA3 D0B5 9CAA 69DC  7243 1855 BC2E 4B43 5654

Re: RHS Null Assignment Documentation

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:43:33PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Uh oh :)
>
> Did you do this patch against the current CVS?  I applied your patch
> today...

Yes, the patch is against the current CVS.  The only difference is the
addition of two words.  My mind was going a bit faster than my hands
could type.  :)

Re: RHS Null Assignment Documentation

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 12/13/01 11:34 PM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:42:00PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On 12/12/01 11:33 PM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Feel free to change it, I don't claim to be a technical writer!!
>>
>> Thanks! (None of us do :)
>
> Oops, there was a little typo in the patch I sent.  Sorry it was past my
> bed time last night and I was excited about my first contribution to
> this project. :)

And it was good!

> Here is the correction.

Uh oh :)

Did you do this patch against the current CVS?  I applied your patch
today...

> Thanks,
> Pete

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

System and Software Consulting

Re: RHS Null Assignment Documentation

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 12/13/01 11:34 PM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:42:00PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On 12/12/01 11:33 PM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Feel free to change it, I don't claim to be a technical writer!!
>>
>> Thanks! (None of us do :)
>
> Oops, there was a little typo in the patch I sent.  Sorry it was past my
> bed time last night and I was excited about my first contribution to
> this project. :)
>
> Here is the correction.

Done.  Thx.

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 12/12/01 11:33 PM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:

> I've attempted to write a small section for the user guide documenting
> that assignment of a null RHS does not remove an existing reference from
> the context.  In addition, I made a one line change to the VTL reference
> as well.
>
> When I first started using Velocity, this caused me some confusion
> because it was counter-intuitive (at least for me).  I've also been
> lurking on this list for a couple of months and noticed that others have
> been confused by this as well.  I thought I'd try to clarify this
> behavior in the existing docs to help eliminate the confusion.
>
> I know that this behavior may change in the future, but in the meantime
> it might be helpful to have it spelled out clearly in the documentation
> for the newcomers.
>
> Feel free to change it, I don't claim to be a technical writer!!

Thanks! (None of us do :)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                       geirm@optonline.net
System and Software Consulting