Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2010/06/17 19:25:37 UTC

Stuff left for 2.3?

I'd like to try and get a handle on what is needed to get 2.3 out the door.
It's really long, long overdue.     The things I can think of off the top of
my head:

1) JAX-WS 2.2 - we're close on this, just need to figure out a few more
things.

2) JAX-RS 1.1 - Sergey: do you know how close we are there?

3) New annotations - we have a bunch of new annotations, but I think they only
work on the WS side of things, not the RS side.   Some only apply to the WS
side, but others probably are applicable there.   I may try and take a stab at
this.   It should just be wiring in the new annotation listener stuff into the
JAX-RS startup code and they should all mostly "just work".   I hope.  :-)

4) SOAP/JMS - I THINK this is now "done" and it passes all the SOAP/JMS spec
tests.   Anyone know for sure?

5) SOAP/TCP - this is no where close to enterprise ready.   Probably just mark
it experimental and not worry about it for now.

6) mustUnderstand logic stuff mentioned in the migration guide.   I need to
finish that up.  That's on me.

Anything else anyone can think of?

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Stuff left for 2.3?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 17 June 2010 2:42:33 pm Glen Mazza wrote:
> JAXB 2.2.1[1]?
>
> [1] http://old.nabble.com/-ANN--JAXB-2.2.1-is-released-td28583411.html

That falls into the JAX-WS 2.2 stuff as JAX-WS  2.2 requires it.    It's also
in the "it required endorsing the 2.2 api jar" thing to work, which sucks.

In anycase, it will be supported, but only if you go through the trouble of
doing the endorsed thing.

Dan

Re: Stuff left for 2.3?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
JAXB 2.2.1[1]?

Re: Stuff left for 2.3?

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Daniel Kulp wrote:
> I'd like to try and get a handle on what is needed to get 2.3 out the door.
> It's really long, long overdue.     The things I can think of off the top of
> my head:
>
> 1) JAX-WS 2.2 - we're close on this, just need to figure out a few more
> things.
>
> 2) JAX-RS 1.1 - Sergey: do you know how close we are there?
>
> 3) New annotations - we have a bunch of new annotations, but I think they only
> work on the WS side of things, not the RS side.   Some only apply to the WS
> side, but others probably are applicable there.   I may try and take a stab at
> this.   It should just be wiring in the new annotation listener stuff into the
> JAX-RS startup code and they should all mostly "just work".   I hope.  :-)
>
> 4) SOAP/JMS - I THINK this is now "done" and it passes all the SOAP/JMS spec
> tests.   Anyone know for sure?

Yes, they are done except the WSDL 2.0 part which are not supported by CXF.

> 5) SOAP/TCP - this is no where close to enterprise ready.   Probably just mark
> it experimental and not worry about it for now.
>
> 6) mustUnderstand logic stuff mentioned in the migration guide.   I need to
> finish that up.  That's on me.
>

> Anything else anyone can think of?

Willem

Re: Stuff left for 2.3?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Thursday 17 June 2010 6:29:16 pm Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I'd like to try and get a handle on what is needed to get 2.3 out the
> > door. It's really long, long overdue.     The things I can think of off
> > the top of
> > my head:
> >
> > 1) JAX-WS 2.2 - we're close on this, just need to figure out a few more
> > things.
> >
> > 2) JAX-RS 1.1 - Sergey: do you know how close we are there?
> >
> > Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look into running the JAXRS 1.1
>
> TCK.
> One thing which definitely won't be done for 2.3 is the JAXRS 1.1 Java EE
> requirements (Servlet 3, CDI, EJB3) - this is probably a theme for the next
> year's GSOC :-)

Since those aren't required for standalone compliance, I'm not too worried
about them.   :-)

> I may ask you a favor with helping to figure out how to avoid a wsdl4j
> dependency for CXF JAXRS - I can create a test case

OK.   Just let me know.  :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Stuff left for 2.3?

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd like to try and get a handle on what is needed to get 2.3 out the door.
> It's really long, long overdue.     The things I can think of off the top
> of
> my head:
>
> 1) JAX-WS 2.2 - we're close on this, just need to figure out a few more
> things.
>
> 2) JAX-RS 1.1 - Sergey: do you know how close we are there?
>
> Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look into running the JAXRS 1.1
TCK.
One thing which definitely won't be done for 2.3 is the JAXRS 1.1 Java EE
requirements (Servlet 3, CDI, EJB3) - this is probably a theme for the next
year's GSOC :-)
What might be done in time for 2.3 is few minor enhancements to do with
dealing JAXRS 1.1 Application class - so it may make CXF partially
compliant.

> 3) New annotations - we have a bunch of new annotations, but I think they
> only
> work on the WS side of things, not the RS side.   Some only apply to the WS
> side, but others probably are applicable there.   I may try and take a stab
> at
> this.   It should just be wiring in the new annotation listener stuff into
> the
> JAX-RS startup code and they should all mostly "just work".   I hope.  :-)
>
> would be cool :-)

> 4) SOAP/JMS - I THINK this is now "done" and it passes all the SOAP/JMS
> spec
> tests.   Anyone know for sure?
>
> 5) SOAP/TCP - this is no where close to enterprise ready.   Probably just
> mark
> it experimental and not worry about it for now.
>
> 6) mustUnderstand logic stuff mentioned in the migration guide.   I need to
> finish that up.  That's on me.
>

> Anything else anyone can think of?

I may ask you a favor with helping to figure out how to avoid a wsdl4j
dependency for CXF JAXRS - I can create a test case

thanks, Sergey