Posted to users@airavata.apache.org by Ray Martin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/22 00:55:12 UTC

what should be in airavata?

version 0.5 download is 52.1Mbytes
version 0.4-incubating is 74.6Mbytes

version 0.4 has folders including gui and lib
version 0.5 does not have the folders gui and lib, but the README says it
should.

One of the most important parts of documentation is to tell the reader why
they may want to do something.  The reader has never before seem the
functionality that you are offering.  Currently apache web sites do not
provide sufficient information as to the purpose of what is being
provided.  For example, I am interested in any work that has been placed
into integrating Rave/Wave with Airavata/OODT.  Would or should one expect
to find that information under airavata-client?  I dunno - should I?  It is
so hard to follow and decipher.  Maybe that is the goal - make the reader
work for what he wants to know.

Re: what should be in airavata?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Ray, and Suresh,

I'm happy to discuss Airavata and OODT integration paths too — what did you have in mind? There are a few research efforts going on mainly at the level of some MS student projects, but perhaps you can help focus the integration.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

From: Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>>
Date: Monday, January 21, 2013 6:11 PM
To: "users@airavata.apache.org<ma...@airavata.apache.org>" <us...@airavata.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: what should be in airavata?

Hi Ray,

Its not our goal to make the reader work for what they want to know, but this ambiguity is certainly evident on a evolving open source project like Airavata so contributors like yourself will find natural first place to jump on board and fix the things you do not like :)

So thank you for your contribution to Airavata (very seriously), this is great feedback, we will even appreciate if you can further contribute your notes or fix documentation as you work through so future users will benefit.

Referring to Airavata high level architecture [1] Airavata has three levels of components, the server, a built in GUI and an API (airavata client). We do not have yet built any web interfaces which is where we would like to see Airavata integrated with Rave. We very much would like to see Airavata integrated with OODT and there have been some discussions but no concrete tasks have been accomplished. It will be great if you can detail what you would like to do a little more.

Your README feedback is well taken, we will take into account for the upcoming release 0.6 which is going through testing right now (in dev mailing list). Meanwhile you may want to refer to wiki to see if the documentation you are looking for exists there.

Here are some OODT integration ideas [3] [4]

Suresh

[1] - http://airavata.apache.org/architecture/overview.html
[2] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/index
[3] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-342