Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/21 23:13:58 UTC

Re: Test instructions for Release JDO2 beta

Hi Michael,

On Jan 21, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> +1 for the released version.
>
> The distribution is running good, I tested it with the SNAPSHOT
> release of JPOX as you described below.
> However, I'm having problems with downloading the jdo2-beta jars
> from the maven repository, please see below ...
>
>>> 4. The release depends on artifacts that are only available on
>>> the staging release area, so you need to edit the maven location
>>> from which the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of
>>> maven.xml in the project.properties file with the
>>> maven.remote.repo property, and add
>>
> What do you mean with maven.xml here? The project.properties in
> jdo2-tck-2.0-beta has the property maven.remote.repo.

Of course you are right. [The test information needs to be put onto a
wiki and maintained. This was an oversight on my part.]

>>> "http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven <http://
>>> www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/maven>" to the ibiblio and jpox
>>> urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday
>>> evening. Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT
>>> build and rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.
>>
> I added the above to the maven.remote.repo property. But I'm having
> problems resolving the dependencies via maven, I get the following
> error message:
> Attempting to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
> Error retrieving artifact from [ http://www.apache.org/~clr/
> downloads/maven/javax.jdo/jars/jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar]: java.
> io.IOException: Unknown error downloading; status code was: 302
> WARNING: Failed to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
>
> However, I could download the jars manually using the above url. So
> I really do not know why I could not download it via maven.

This is mysterious. I get similar results:

Attempting to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
Error retrieving artifact from [ http://www.jpox.org/downloads/maven
http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven/javax.jdo/jars/jdo2-
api-2.0-beta.jar]: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid uri '/
downloads/maven http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven/javax.jdo/
jars/jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar': escaped absolute path not valid
WARNING: Failed to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
dependency:

jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar

Anyone around here know what the issue is?

>>> 5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
>>> directory for the testing of the release.
>>>
>>> 6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many
>>> of the steps therein as you like.
>>
> The file RunRule.html is included twice: in the root and under jdo2-
> tck-2.0-beta. Maybe this is a left over from merging my recent
> 'maven dist' support changes into the workspace you used to create
> the distribution file.

Yes. Good catch.

> I realized some minor issues:
> - The directory iut_jars is not included in the distribution, but
> it will be created on the first run of maven from the jdo2-tck-2.0-
> beta directory. This might be confusing, if you want to copy the
> iut jars before running maven. Maybe we could change this and
> include it as an empty directory. I'll take a look.

Yes, good idea. Your patch copied everything though. I guess it
should be empty.

> - We forgot to include the assertions directory into the
> distribution. I'll take a look.

Your patch looks good.

> - The lib/ext directory is in the parent directory of jdo2-tck-
> beta, not parallel to test as stated in the RunRules.

I'll update the RunRules. At least it isn't there twice.

Thanks for the usual thorough review.

Craig

>>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!