Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by J Norment <co...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/23 15:29:22 UTC

diff -r proof of svnsync

I'm setting up a replication repo that I plan on syncing from cron each
evening.  I created a Debian VM, got everything up and running, and then
followed the instructions in the svnbook to get the replication process
online.  I tested the end result by diff -r 'ing both paths.  The first time
I let it run all the way through; the second time, I killing the process
(control -c and then pkill when it failed to respond).  In both cases, the
diff came back the same:  Only the UUID file was different.

I copied the VM onto a production machine, created scripts to set up and
then initialize a new replication repo, and then fired it off... only to
have it return differences all over the place when it completed.

I need a way to validate that svnsync is doing what I'm expecting it to do.
It would appear that diff -r is not that way.  ... or maybe something went
south during the sync this time?

I'm trying to figure out what is going on even while I'm composing this
email, in an effort to provide accurate information.  In doing so, I've
discovered that while the copied repo and the replicated repo appear to
differ, the two repos replicated off of the same copy only differ by UUID.
Perhaps this is what I did last time, without being fully aware that was
what I was doing.

Anyone have an idea why diff -r finds differences in the (untouched) test
repo and the test replication repo?

Any constructive feedback is welcome.  Thanks!

--J.