Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Wagner, Aaron" <aa...@bankofamerica.com> on 2004/07/15 17:53:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Zombie processes on Apache/2.0.48 (Win32)

Server Version: Apache/2.0.48 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_13-dev Perl/v5.8.3 PHP/4.3.4
Server Built: Nov 2 2003 23:31:38

I have a production server running in an intranet environment on win2k  =(

Sometimes when I spawn a command process (ie a perl code directly from php) and the process hangs, I get zombie processes.

for example php   ----> $result = `d:\WebCore\Perl5.8.0\bin\perl.exe d:\webcore\apache2\bin\dbmmanage.pl -m d:\security\esystest view`;

I know that the windows version of apache uses a single PID for all the processes.  What happens is the zombie processes keep accumulating until no proceses are available.

How can I kill these processes on a win2k box without having to bounce the apache service?

I know there is a lot of commands that will timeout and cycle PIDs in the UNIX flavor but nothing for windows and believe me, I'd be on a LINUX flavor if I had a choice.

Thanx
Aaron N Wagner
PMON Team
eSystems/Server Monitoring