Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com> on 2000/08/16 14:22:44 UTC

PROPOSAL: Separate tomcat-apache-howto.html (was Re: User's Guide)

I haven't heard back from the fellow who started revising the user
guide, but when I do, I'd like to take the liberty of separating it
into two separate documents:

tomcat-ug.html
	information on tomcat installation and standalone use
tomcat-apache-howto.html
	information on installing Tomcat inside Apache

This would fit in with the other howtos (tomcat-iis-howto.html and
tomcat-netscape-howto.html) and make for a cleaner documentation
structure.

Also, as a minor note, it would change the name from tomcat_ug.html to
tomcat-ug.html to make it more consistent.

I'll also give it a onceover and walk through it as I install
Apache+Tomcat on two new servers.  That should help resolve some of
the complaints about how it's out of date.

Please reply with your +1s (-1s not required :-))

Now, wasn't there a thread about a "docs" directory?  I just synced,
after a month on the road, and I still see only src/doc and
src/webpages/docs.  Or was that going to be in the dist build only?

 - Alex

Re: PROPOSAL: Separate tomcat-apache-howto.html (was Re: User's Guide)

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Alex Chaffee wrote:

> I haven't heard back from the fellow who started revising the user
> guide, but when I do, I'd like to take the liberty of separating it
> into two separate documents:
>
> tomcat-ug.html
>         information on tomcat installation and standalone use
> tomcat-apache-howto.html
>         information on installing Tomcat inside Apache
>
> This would fit in with the other howtos (tomcat-iis-howto.html and
> tomcat-netscape-howto.html) and make for a cleaner documentation
> structure.
>
> Also, as a minor note, it would change the name from tomcat_ug.html to
> tomcat-ug.html to make it more consistent.
>
> I'll also give it a onceover and walk through it as I install
> Apache+Tomcat on two new servers.  That should help resolve some of
> the complaints about how it's out of date.
>
> Please reply with your +1s (-1s not required :-))

+1

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten		hans@gefionsoftware.com

Re: PROPOSAL: Separate tomcat-apache-howto.html (was Re: User's Guide)

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
I would add one more document

tomcat-security.html
	Information on how to configure and use tomcat securely.
	This would cover things such as don't run tomcat as root
	and how to configure tomcat to use the java SecurityManager.
	The existing tomcat-security.txt could be used as a
	starting point.

Glenn

Alex Chaffee wrote:

> I haven't heard back from the fellow who started revising the user
> guide, but when I do, I'd like to take the liberty of separating it
> into two separate documents:
>
> tomcat-ug.html
>         information on tomcat installation and standalone use
> tomcat-apache-howto.html
>         information on installing Tomcat inside Apache
>
> This would fit in with the other howtos (tomcat-iis-howto.html and
> tomcat-netscape-howto.html) and make for a cleaner documentation
> structure.
>
> Also, as a minor note, it would change the name from tomcat_ug.html to
> tomcat-ug.html to make it more consistent.
>
> I'll also give it a onceover and walk through it as I install
> Apache+Tomcat on two new servers.  That should help resolve some of
> the complaints about how it's out of date.
>
> Please reply with your +1s (-1s not required :-))
>
> Now, wasn't there a thread about a "docs" directory?  I just synced,
> after a month on the road, and I still see only src/doc and
> src/webpages/docs.  Or was that going to be in the dist build only?
>
>  - Alex
>
> --
> Alex Chaffee                       mailto:alex@jguru.com
> jGuru - Java News and FAQs         http://www.jguru.com/alex/
> Creator of Gamelan                 http://www.gamelan.com/
> Founder of Purple Technology       http://www.purpletech.com/
> Curator of Stinky Art Collective   http://www.stinky.com/

Re: PROPOSAL: Separate tomcat-apache-howto.html (was Re: User's Guide)

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
+1

Costin

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Thoughts on Apache-style starting point, a la http://www.apache.org/docs/ ?
e.g. http://fuzz.cx/~rslifka/tc/ ...which may/not necessitate breaking it up
into even smaller chunks still.

One other one:  Incorporate JDBCRealm.howto into the User's Guide.
	- Part of server.xml, Tomcat configuration.

- r

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi all,

> I haven't heard back from the fellow who started revising the user
> guide, but when I do, I'd like to take the liberty of separating it
> into two separate documents:

Sorry, I never received an email from you.  You mentioned sending comments
privately, but then I never got any =)  Might want to double-check the email
addy:

rslifka@sfu.ca

I don't trust @Home's mail service.

> This would fit in with the other howtos (tomcat-iis-howto.html and
> tomcat-netscape-howto.html) and make for a cleaner documentation
> structure.

I'm digging that in a big way.  I just figured Gal put it in there as
special treatment as part of the Jakarta/Apache project ;)

- r