Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Dean A. Hoover" <dh...@rochester.rr.com> on 2004/03/30 15:10:28 UTC

switching to struts-el

I am going to experiment with embracing struts-el.
Is there any downside to this? Also, I am not
currently up on JSTL. How would you recommend
learning it? I have seen "JSTL in Action" on the
bookshelves. Is that a good book on the subject?
One last thing: How do I express
<bean:write name="error"/>
in JSTL?
<c:out ...

Thanks.
Dean Hoover

Re: switching to struts-el

Posted by "P. Hill" <go...@xmission.com>.
Dean A. Hoover wrote:
> I have seen "JSTL in Action" on the
> bookshelves. Is that a good book on the subject?

I found JSTL In Action to be a nice gentle introduction
and includes some very good applications of JSTL, but
the book is written for content providers and NOT for
Java developers.  So if you want to think about how to
work only with JSTL within your pages it is fine book.
If you want to know all the details and how to work more
with JSTL in various JSP, JavaBean and Struts configurations
you might also consider the JavaServer Pages book from O'Reilly.

Personally, I have both and wasn't planning on getting ride of
either.

Just my 2 cents.
-Paul

Re: switching to struts-el

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@boxstuff.com>.
I believe so . I haven't been brave enough yet to move to tc5 but the
el support is a good reason for me to do so.

I think (haven't tried it) as you're using tc 5 you wont need the el
struts tags as the expressions are evaluated before the tags, working
much the same way as <%= foo.getBar() %> does.

Re: switching to struts-el

Posted by "Dean A. Hoover" <dh...@rochester.rr.com>.
Thanks Mark.

Re: switching to struts-el