Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jlo_gestalt <jl...@gestalt-llc.com> on 2008/05/01 19:26:05 UTC

How to get around maven causing CI to fail

I am not sure this is a bug or intentional, but it's very annoying how the
clean phase requires all the dependencies to run. It's annoying because our
CI environment (like everyone else) usually executes mvn clean install.

And if I have a multi module project, when adding a new module, CI fails
because the clean is unable to resolve dependencies.

For example, lets say I have the following module structure where B depends
on A

parent
   - module A
   - module B (depends (A))

CI works fine for many days executing mvn clean install and then I go and
commit a new module C where module B depends on my new module C:

parent
   - module A
   - module B (depends (A, C))
   - module C

Since my CI environment hasn't built module C yet it fails with not being
able to resolve dependencies. The current workaround includes remoting into
our CI server and manually running mvn install.

To my knowledge this has been the way it has worked since maven 1.x and has
got to be the most frustrating maven feature I know of (and for me there are
few).

Does anyone know of a way to get around this? My team is getting tired of
this issue. It would be great if the clean plugin wouldn't fail, or their
was a way to override it with a property or something. this issue also
exists if you increment your projects version from say 1.5-SNAPSHOT to
1.6-SNAPSHOT.

FYI, we also have this issue during the validate phase when adding new
modules. The first goal our CI envirnonment runs is to rebuild the database
(which we have running during the validate phase). And when we add a new
module or increment our version CI fails.

RE: How to get around maven causing CI to fail

Posted by jlo_gestalt <jl...@gestalt-llc.com>.
I don't necessarily need something immediate. I would much rather prefer
getting this fixed in future versions of maven.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by jlo_gestalt <jl...@gestalt-llc.com>.
Yes,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.