Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Cortes <dc...@fib.upc.edu> on 2005/01/13 12:36:49 UTC

MySql and Lucene

I what to know your opinion about this:

I've a new portal, and Lucene is the serach engine. This portal is an
integration of a lot of opensource software.
phpBB(MySql) is our election for the forum, and I have to do that
searches with the search engine include search in the forum.
I think that I have 2 options:
-Every new post in the forum, it was been  indexed in the Mysql and
Lucene Index ( storing fields that I want to show in the results for
exemaple author, title date,...)
It means that I've almost a total copy of the MySQL in my Lucene Index.
- Or  Do the search with lucene and after do a SQL query in the
servlett, but how I show the results.I can't show first the Lucene's
results and after the phorum's results.
Any Idea?
thks

Re: MySql and Lucene

Posted by Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>.
On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 12:36 +0100, Daniel Cortes wrote:
> I what to know your opinion about this:
>
> I've a new portal, and Lucene is the serach engine. This portal is an
> integration of a lot of opensource software.
> phpBB(MySql) is our election for the forum, and I have to do that
> searches with the search engine include search in the forum.
> I think that I have 2 options:
> -Every new post in the forum, it was been  indexed in the Mysql and
> Lucene Index ( storing fields that I want to show in the results for
> exemaple author, title date,...)
> It means that I've almost a total copy of the MySQL in my Lucene Index.
> - Or  Do the search with lucene and after do a SQL query in the
> servlett, but how I show the results.I can't show first the Lucene's
> results and after the phorum's results.
> Any Idea?
> thks

If space wasn't an issue I would just duplicate the data in Lucene
because that makes things easiest.

If space is a concern you could store the post's primary key in Lucene
as the only stored field. Then do a search on Lucene, get the list of
matching posts and pull out the rest of the information from MySQL.

--
Miles Barr <mi...@runtime-collective.com>
Runtime Collective Ltd.