Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2004/04/16 15:27:49 UTC

Broken Windows build.

The file subversion/clients/cmdline/help-cmd.c has unconditional calls
to gettext() in it.  There is no documentation at all regarding
gettext in INSTALL (that I could find with the obvious greps), and my
Windows build is broken as a result of the gettext() calls.

Re: Broken Windows build.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> Justin did that already...but those map to dgettext (not gettext) if
> ENABLE_NLS is defined...this looks like a different function call.  I'm
> now trying to finish the changes to the Win32 generator and just ran
> into this...what is the unix build doing to fix this when ENABLE_NLS is
> not defined?

#define gettext(x) (x)

i.o.w. define a no-op macro.

HTH,

Erik.

--
NEU : GMX Internet.FreeDSL
Ab sofort DSL-Tarif ohne Grundgebühr: http://www.gmx.net/info

Re: Broken Windows build.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
C. Michael Pilato wrote:
[snip]
> The gettext() calls are used in parameters to another function, so I'd
> rather not see:
>
>       function(param1,
>    #ifdef ENABLE_NLS
>                gettext(param2),
>    #else
>                param2,
>    #endif
>                param3,
>                param4,
>    #ifdef ENABLE_NLS
>                gettext(param5),
>    #else
>                param5,
>    #endif
>                param6);
>
> Knowwhatimean?
>
> If those calls can just be changed to _(), that makes more sense.  And
> in addition, svn_private_config.hw needs to have a no-op _() macro
> defined.

Justin did that already...but those map to dgettext (not gettext) if
ENABLE_NLS is defined...this looks like a different function call.  I'm
now trying to finish the changes to the Win32 generator and just ran
into this...what is the unix build doing to fix this when ENABLE_NLS is
not defined?

DJ

Re: Broken Windows build.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

Re: Broken Windows build.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> The file subversion/clients/cmdline/help-cmd.c has unconditional calls
> to gettext() in it.  There is no documentation at all regarding
> gettext in INSTALL (that I could find with the obvious greps), and my
> Windows build is broken as a result of the gettext() calls.

Which brings me to the question I was going to ask before Garret committed
his #ifdef's:

There are two possible ways to fix this (if Garret's commit does not):

1) Change the calls to _() calls
2) leave the gettext() calls but put those instances in #ifdef's

Does anybody have a preference / best practice / <anything> either way?

bye,

Erik.