Posted to community@apache.org by Tiago Marques <ti...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/11 17:49:59 UTC

Warning about out of memory/processes

Hi all,

I'm not exactly new to Apache but there are some things that I'd like to ask
about, which I haven't been able to google with decent results.

So, I just noticed Apache doesn't handle multiple connections very well(like
1000) and it uses a lot of memory with our PHP and Rails apps. I've limited
the system to be able to handle about 2000 connections but since I haven't
tested it exhaustively, I may have to cut on that a bit to ensure there's
always available mem to use. The question is, how can I know that Apache is
not serving enough connections, for instance, if it hits the limit I would
like to be able to e-mail myself to know that it needs tuning or a server
upgrade. Does this show up on logs or can I program some kind of action to
do it? I can implement scripting to do this but need to find a way that
Apache warns about this, if at all. Or am I limited to periodically scanning
the number of processes running and e-mail when it hits a certain level?

Some insight on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Tiago Marques

Re: Warning about out of memory/processes

Posted by Tiago Marques <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Pellanda <fl...@logintas.ch>.
Hi,

Probably this is the wrong mailing-list, this is the community mailing-list.
Please use one of the http server projects list. eg: dev@httpd.apache.org

See: http://projects.apache.org/projects/http_server.html

Btw. do you use mod-passenger for your rails application? I think this
performs best.

Cheers, Flavio