Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by pat hanford <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2017/01/14 19:40:10 UTC

change to new laptop

I bought a new laptop. I use openoffice on the old laptop and downloaded it on the new. I then transferred all documents to the new pc. When using openoffice on the old pc I saved several documents on .doc. When on the new pc I tried to open documents that I saved with .doc I could not open and a box from Microsoft office tells me I have to have that to open. What do I need to do to use openoffice, like my old pc, and open the .doc documents?

Re: change to new laptop

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 15 Jan 2017, at 6:40 am, pat hanford <pa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I bought a new laptop. I use openoffice on the old laptop and downloaded it on the new. I then transferred all documents to the new pc. When using openoffice on the old pc I saved several documents on .doc.

Just an advice, save always in .odt format. Only when you need to send files to someone that depend on MS Word send it in .doc format.

> When on the new pc I tried to open documents that I saved with .doc I could not open and a box from Microsoft office tells me I have to have that to open.

Microsoft office doesn't tell you anything its MS Windows who is telling to open it in MS office. This is because your default is set to MS office.
Open the Control Panel and change the Default Program to OpenOffice.