Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/22 19:48:47 UTC

contrib and lucene 3.0

Hi,

What is the consensus on new features for contrib for Lucene 3.0? I know
that for core, its mostly a java 5 upgrade and deprecation removal.

I want to make sure LUCENE-1606 is set to the right version, but I figured
its really not just about that specific issue, I would like to know the
plans in general.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
by the way, this russian example is only one I'm familiar with, its hardly
the only new deprecation introduced in 3.0

theres been other new features added to contrib in 3.0, and theres been
other new deprecations added to contrib in 3.0

I saw this when I started trying to clear out the contrib deprecations
earlier today, some of them were just added.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
definitely wasn't trying to single you out, again.

besides, this isn't the only instance. just the one that i could remember.

I'll set LUCENE-1606 to 3.1, even tho it doesn't deprecate anything, lets
focus on clearing this shit up and making a clean 3.0 release.

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Michael McCandless <

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Mea culpa ;)  (on LUCENE-1781)

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Negative shcmegative :)

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

On Oct 30, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't want to come across as negative here... i'm not trying to
> single anyone out,
> just a bit confused as to why my issue was singled out when theres
> already been both new features and new deprecations added to 3.0,
> and the issue in question doesnt even have any deprecations. then
> again i don't really care if its in 3.0 or 3.1, but its just wierd.

It was just because your issue caught my eye because I tend to keep a
closer eye on the language stuff because it's an area of interest.
Nothing personal.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Re: contrib and lucene 3.0

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
thanks Michael.

does anyone else have any opinion on this issue?
fyi we already have several new features committed to 3.0 contrib already
(see contrib/CHANGES),
but I don't too much care either way, if I should not be adding this feature
to 3.0, I'd like to set the version in jira to 3.1

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> I think we should allow new features into contrib for 3.0.
>
> I don't even like holding new features from core for 3.0.
>
> In general I don't think it's healthy when trunk is locked down....
> Trunk should be like a locomotive that's plowing ahead at all times.
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the consensus on new features for contrib for Lucene 3.0? I know
> > that for core, its mostly a java 5 upgrade and deprecation removal.
> >
> > I want to make sure LUCENE-1606 is set to the right version, but I
> figured
> > its really not just about that specific issue, I would like to know the
> > plans in general.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert
> >
> > --