Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/03/04 13:08:32 UTC

[VOTE] Release maven-plugin-tools 2.1

Hi,

I'd like to release maven-plugin-tools-2.1. The previous release was 2.0.5.

This release is a preparation for a new release of the maven-plugin-plugin.

I could not find any project in JIRA where issues for this component
would be, but the differences that can be found between the last release
and SVN trunk are:

- Add support for new annotations: @since for mojos and @implementation
for parameters
- Remove pluggy. It was only for the bootstrap and is no longer needed.

Revision: 514203

A SNAPSHOT has been deployed to our snapshot-repository.

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

Here is my +1

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release maven-plugin-tools 2.1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
-1

Agreeing with Daniel - AFAICT the POMs are not correctly configured
to generate the proper license files, etc. on release.

If you could update the parents and either stage a release or deploy
snapshots with the release profile turned on, then I'm +1.

Thanks!

- Brett

Re: making releases was: [VOTE] Release maven-plugin-tools 2.1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 04/03/2007, at 6:41 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Can you point to some specific Apache rule that says so? There have
> been discussions on this topic before, but I have yet to see
> someone point me to the source for this rule. I don't disagree with
> the sentiment of this, I just want to know where the rulebook is:)

Yep, as Jason pointed out, it's a Maven rule, not an Apache one.

IMO, you complied with it by stating the rev and providing the
appropriate binary. I think we have a stated intent to use staged
release artifacts instead, but until the tools work completely I
think the 'old process' is just fine.

However, Daniel is right in that they are missing the necessary
license files, so I'll vote on the thread -1.

>> For Jason's instructions, see:
>> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
>
> I'm aware of these instructions. As it is now however, its a PITA
> to do it that way because of the "contact Jason" part of it. Every
> release is depending on Jason to copy over the artifacts, because
> the repositorytools isn't working as they should over scp:. I
> thought that I'd take a bit of load off Jason's shoulders by doing
> it the "old way".

I used the old way for surefire as Jason said the tools weren't
working when I asked and I found it less error prone than copying
over by hand. Sounds like they might be fixed but until that makes it
into a released version.

- Brett

Re: [VOTE] Release maven-plugin-tools 2.1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 4 Mar 07, at 6:41 AM 4 Mar 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Daniel Kulp wrote:
>> +1
>> However, by apache rules we should be voting on staged artifacts,
>> not snapshots.   The snapshots don't meet apache release
>> requirements so technically, any vote on them should be an
>> immediate -1.  Plus, things like the gpg signatures and stuff are
>> not available to verify and such.
>
> Can you point to some specific Apache rule that says so?

There is actually no specific rule, PMCs are in fact, allowed to do
whatever they wish the only condition being the PMC is aware of the
release and it is voted on. That said, in the last Board meeting we
had a discussion about release processes and many folks thought it
strange that the actual binaries being released into the wild are not
voted on. Voting on what we are actually releasing makes the most
sense to me and the toolchain will get sorted out. Tom fixed the POMs
not getting copied btw.

> There have been discussions on this topic before, but I have yet to
> see someone point me to the source for this rule. I don't disagree
> with the sentiment of this, I just want to know where the rulebook
> is:)

There is no rule book, it's decided on a per-PMC basis but common
practice amongst other PMCs is to vote on final binaries and release
those.

Jason.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
+1

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

[RESULT][VOTE] Release maven-plugin-tools 2.1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Here are the results of this vote:

+1 (1): Dennis Lundberg

-1 (2): Daniel Kulp, Brett Porter