Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ronan Lucio <ro...@tiper.com.br> on 2006/11/30 20:09:01 UTC

Hidding .svn directories on Apache

Hello,

As I have the website as a workcopy of the repository, it have
a .svn diretory for each directory/subdirectory in the struct.

Intending to secure the application and the server I´d like that
those folders aren´t accessible via browser.

So, I follow the Subversion FAQ and put the lines

<DirectoryMatch "^/.*/\.svn/">
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</DirectoryMatch>

in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf file that is included
by the httpd.conf file.

But it isn´t working. I still can browser the directories.

Any help would be appreciated,
Ronan

Re: Hidding .svn directories on Apache

Posted by Ronan Lucio <ro...@tiper.com.br>.
Ryan,

Ryan Schmidt escreveu:
> RedirectMatch 404 .*/\.svn(/|$)

Thank you very much once again.
Great tip. I did that now... ;-)

I found what was my mitake.
I configured the directives in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf,
but I have configured 2 Apaches, the main one in port 80 and the second
one in another port running as another unprivileged user (svnuser).

The problem was that subversion.conf is included by httpd-svn.conf,
but not by httpd.conf, that configures httpd for the real website.

Now I just follow your tip in the correct file (httpd.conf) and it work
fine.

Thank you,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 30, 2006, at 14:09, Ronan Lucio wrote:

> As I have the website as a workcopy of the repository, it have
> a .svn diretory for each directory/subdirectory in the struct.
>
> Intending to secure the application and the server I´d like that
> those folders aren´t accessible via browser.
>
> So, I follow the Subversion FAQ and put the lines
>
> <DirectoryMatch "^/.*/\.svn/">
>    Order deny,allow
>    Deny from all
> </DirectoryMatch>
>
> in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/subversion.conf file that is included
> by the httpd.conf file.
>
> But it isn´t working. I still can browser the directories.

This is what I use:

RedirectMatch 404 .*/\.svn(/|$)

I believe I used to use this:

<Files ".svn">
	Order allow,deny
	Deny from all
</Files>
<DirectoryMatch "/\.svn/">
	Order allow,deny
	Deny from all
</DirectoryMatch>

However, that returns a 403 error to the client, which conveys the
information to the visitor that these items do indeed exist but that
they are not allowed to see them. I prefer to use the RedirectMatch
command to return a 404 code so that the items genuinely appear not
to exist.

Re: Hidding .svn directories on Apache

Posted by Ronan Lucio <ro...@tiper.com.br>.
Andy,

> Sorry if this is an elementary question, but did you restart Apache
> after making this change?

I know this happen, but I have already did it. I´ve restarted even the
server.

Thanks,

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.