Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/06 14:14:27 UTC

Mix-and-match HttpCore and HttpClient versions

HttpClient and HttpCore have similar version numbers; both have a
4.2.x series and a 4.3 series.

Is there any relationship between the two?
Is it necessary for HttpClient 4.2.x to use HttpCore 4.2.x?
Or can HttpClient 4.2.5 be used with HttpCore 4.3?

The website does not seem to have any information on this.
I think the download page needs to make it clear whether they are linked or not.

Also, if they are linked, then HttpCore 4.2.x needs to be available on
the download page.

Re: Mix-and-match HttpCore and HttpClient versions

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 August 2013 14:25, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 14:14 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > Theoretically, it can, as HttpCore 4.3 should be fully API backward
>> > compatible. However, truth to be told I have not been testing all
>> > possible version combinations. Unless one has a very good reason to mix
>> > 4.3 core with 4.2 client I would probably caution against doing so. Just
>> > use client 4.3 and let your dependency management tool pick up requisite
>> > dependencies.
>>
>> JMeter does not have a dep. mgt tool. ;-)
>>

> Which is a shame in my opinion.
>
>> Nor do users of the download page necessarily have one.
>> If Core 4.2.x is recommended for use with Client 4.2.x then IMO Core
>> 4.2.x must be available from the download page.
>> And the reasoning should be mentioned on the the download page.
>>

> Every binary release of HttpClient comes with all the requisite
> dependencies bundled including HttpCore.

I'd overlooked that, but ...

> I do not have a problem with
> putting HttpCore 4.2 back at the download page. I just do not think it
> is necessary.

 ... HttpClient 4.2.5 includes HttpCore 4.2.4; what if the user wants
to update to the latest HttpCore 4.2.x - i.e. 4.2.5?

I think that means Core 4.2.5 should be on the download page.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 14:14 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 6 August 2013 13:30, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 13:14 +0100, sebb wrote:
> >> HttpClient and HttpCore have similar version numbers; both have a
> >> 4.2.x series and a 4.3 series.
> >>
> >> Is there any relationship between the two?
> >> Is it necessary for HttpClient 4.2.x to use HttpCore 4.2.x?
> >> Or can HttpClient 4.2.5 be used with HttpCore 4.3?
> >>

> > Theoretically, it can, as HttpCore 4.3 should be fully API backward
> > compatible. However, truth to be told I have not been testing all
> > possible version combinations. Unless one has a very good reason to mix
> > 4.3 core with 4.2 client I would probably caution against doing so. Just
> > use client 4.3 and let your dependency management tool pick up requisite
> > dependencies.
>
> JMeter does not have a dep. mgt tool. ;-)

Which is a shame in my opinion.

> Nor do users of the download page necessarily have one.
> If Core 4.2.x is recommended for use with Client 4.2.x then IMO Core
> 4.2.x must be available from the download page.
> And the reasoning should be mentioned on the the download page.

Every binary release of HttpClient comes with all the requisite
dependencies bundled including HttpCore. I do not have a problem with

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.