Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Max Pfingsthorn <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/09 16:11:02 UTC

CForms Summer of Code project

Hi!

I have a question. There are two, somewhat conflicting descriptions of
the CForms project on the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonFormsScratchpad
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/WhiteBoardCocoonForms

I guess the most recently edited one (WhiteBoard...) is the most
preferred one... is that so? I just would like to make sure.

Oh, I am finalizing my proposal now, should I send it here first for a
quick glance over?

Bye!
max

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:04:26AM +0200, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> >Hi again!
> >
> >This is mainly to Reinhard and Sylvain, I guess. Who else is a CForms
> >guru here? :)
>
> IIRC the idea came from Tim Larson who has also started with some
> experimental code
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/forms/) but I have to
> admit that I don't know what the current status of it is.

I do not remember the most current state it is in, but it
was working pretty well, iirc.  This means defining and
instanciating macros worked, and macro libraries could be
imported.  The "Swan" code is the test case for these
features, so look there to see what works.

> The design and the implementation will be discussed on this list and
> anybody who's interested can take part in the discussions. I'm willing to
> take the role of the official mentor but I would like a co-mentor who knows
> cForms in depth (Sylvain, Tim, Bruno, ...). This person doesn't need to be
> officially named but he is more a backup for Max if the whole community is
> on holidays and he needs a contact person for technical questions. Tim has
> already offered to help "unofficially", right? (Just asking again for Max.)

Yes, I am willing to help with however much time I have left
over from moving :)  I just do not know how much time that
will be, so I will not be a full "offical" mentor.

--Tim Larson

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> Thank you very much, Reinhard!
>
> I'll fix that and submit it later today. After the email by Tim
> yesterday, I am a bit afraid that most work is already done and this
> project gets too small... I guess there is some bits of designing to
> be done, and the "marketing" anyway (i.e. docs and further examples).
> Does macro inheritance work yet? Or declaring single fields in the
> library?
>
> I'm sorry if I got a bit confused with whats already there and what is
> still left to be done for me.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that Tim has already started with the work. But AFAICS Tim
has worked on the library import part and the "inheritance" part is still
missing. Hence I think that there is some work left for you.

If you're right and the remaining work doesn't justify two months of work, I'm
sure, we will come up with new ideas (refactor cforms/flowscript and
cforms/javaflow API, refactor cforms standard XSLTs for better reuse, test suite
to ensure backwards compatibility, ...). Take them as ideas for now - of course
we will discuss this in depth when your project has been accepted by Google.

Maybe you can add a note to your proposal that

  - the work on the project has already been started but is stalled because the
    original committer working on it is very busy ATM.
  - the first part of your work is to find out what *exactly* of the
    requested features is still open and what has already been solved
  - if the remaining work doesn't justify 2 months of work, you will work
    on other parts of cForms (see above)

HTH

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:41:55PM +0100, Tim Larson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:41:57AM +0200, Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> > Thank you very much, Reinhard!
> >
> > I'll fix that and submit it later today. After the email by Tim
> > yesterday, I am a bit afraid that most work is already done and this
> > project gets too small... I guess there is some bits of designing to
> > be done, and the "marketing" anyway (i.e. docs and further examples).
> > Does macro inheritance work yet? Or declaring single fields in the
> > library?

Declaring a macro containing a single field works, but the
syntax is more verbose than it should be for handling just
a single widget, and iirc, it could use some work on being
able to specify a new id/name for the field at the point
of the macro expansion.

...And yes, there needs to be more/better documentation,
and we sorely need to create some simple step-by-step
examples of using the macro/library features.

Another possible work area:
  Use the macro/library support to make full forms
  nestable, with either the same or different templates.
  The current implementation does not do this, instead
  requiring such dual use (stand-alone and nested) forms
  to be implemented as two files, the body of the form
  in a macro library and then another file containing
  a Form widget and importing the first file to act as
  a wrapper around it for stand-alone use.
  There are similar complications when it comes to using
  the binding and templating frameworks on nested/ dual-use
  forms, which could affect the structure of the base
  flowscripts.

Drifting a little bit away from the macro/lib discussion,
into my motivation for having such a facility...

  I would like to have a declarative way of associating
  bindings, form models, and templates with each other,
  so when a parent form tells the form framework that it
  wants to display some sub-form, it does not have to
  tie the pieces together using code/programming.
  My use-case is a web-based IDE for editing sitemaps,
  forms, flowscripts, database mappings, portal configs,
  etc. where any one of those may be a top-level form,
  and the various related files/data/configs that they
  reference could be opened in context as nested/sub forms.

  Some may think this is silly, but working toward this
  goal has already proven useful...causing several bugs
  to be discovered and the code fixed, and producing a
  number of new widgets now used in other contexts:
  struct/group, union/choose, class/new (the first
  implementation of macro-like reusable groups of widget
  definitions), and a first draft of a macro library
  system that works for bindings, form models, and form
  templates.

Have fun,
--Tim Larson

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:41:57AM +0200, Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> Thank you very much, Reinhard!
>
> I'll fix that and submit it later today. After the email by Tim
> yesterday, I am a bit afraid that most work is already done and this
> project gets too small... I guess there is some bits of designing to
> be done, and the "marketing" anyway (i.e. docs and further examples).
> Does macro inheritance work yet? Or declaring single fields in the
> library?
>
> I'm sorry if I got a bit confused with whats already there and what is
> still left to be done for me.

Sorry for giving the wrong impression...when I sat
down to think about this some more, I found a lot
of work remaining :)

I will try to detail from memory what is left to do:
  Design and implement inheritance/extension and
  parameterization of macros:
    Import and reuse of macros works well now, but
    it is in the extension and parameterization where
    macros and macro libraries will become really useful.
    This will involve a fair amount of community
    discussion regarding what design features are
    desired or unwanted, and I expect that the
    implementation will involve a good bit of work.
    This part could keep you busy for quite a while.
  Create a better caching strategy for forms and macros:
    The current strategy used by the macro libs is too
    naive.  It does not know how to retire items based
    on memory pressure, looks only one level deep from
    a stale cache entry to check for additional stale
    entries that need to be reloaded for changes,
    adds an unnecessary overhead to stable production
    systems by checking for stale entries on every
    form creation, is not integrated with the normal
    configuration and store system used by the rest
    of cocoon, and has no provision for preventing
    harmful caching of dynamic forms.  This area could
    also supply you with a good quantity of work.
  Merge recent changes from trunk to whiteboard/forms:
    FormsTransformer has experienced major changes in
    the trunk, which will cause some work to update the
    template portion of the macro/lib implementation.
    Btw, Ajax support was added to the JX templator,
    and will need to be ported to the FormsTransformer.
    We will have to see how and if this will interact
    with macro support.

Hope this helps,
--Tim Larson

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Max Pfingsthorn <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Max Pfingsthorn <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Max Pfingsthorn <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all!

Yes, I will. The deadline is on the 14th, so does that mean the 14th
0:00 or 23:59? Its a big difference for me as a student ;) Anyway,
I'll get to it this afternoon, still have to work before. Don't worry
though, I didn't (and won't) forget!

Thank you very much for your help!

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>> I also want a second person as official mentor as I will be offline
>>> for some weeks over the summer. Anybdoy volunteering?
>>

>> Me, me :-)
>

> Thanks Sylvain, I've just added your name to the Wiki page.

Hi Max,

Could you please publish your proposal today so that I (and hopefully Sylvain)
can review it this evening? IIRC proposals have to be handed in by tommorrow.

Thanks in advance!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
>
>> Hi again!
>>
>> This is mainly to Reinhard and Sylvain, I guess. Who else is a CForms
>> guru here? :)
>

> IIRC the idea came from Tim Larson who has also started with some
> experimental code
> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/forms/) but I have
> to admit that I don't know what the current status of it is.
>
> The design and the implementation will be discussed on this list and
> anybody who's interested can take part in the discussions. I'm willing
> to take the role of the official mentor but I would like a co-mentor
> who knows cForms in depth (Sylvain, Tim, Bruno, ...). This person
> doesn't need to be officially named but he is more a backup for Max if
> the whole community is on holidays and he needs a contact person for
> technical questions. Tim has already offered to help "unofficially",
> right? (Just asking again for Max.)
>
> I also want a second person as official mentor as I will be offline
> for some weeks over the summer. Anybdoy volunteering?

Me, me :-)

>> I have a question about the inheritance and namespace/inclusion
>> semantics which are not really discussed in the wiki.
>>
>> 1. What about nested libraries? In the wiki it says it forms a flat
>> namespace. Would that be like this: include library 1 as "lib1" and
>> library 2 (from library 1) as "lib2", then all macros of lib2 will
>> still be accessible as lib2:name in a definition which includes lib1?
>> It also mentions a tree like model (I guess like java packages?),
>> which would result in "lib1:lib2:name" to resolve to a macro in lib2?
>> I guess both would be sort of easy to implement.
>

> leave it open for now. We will have to talk more about usecases and
> decide then.
>
>> 2. Can any widget type be macro-ized or only fields? I guess any would
>> make sense...
>

> any type
>
>> Can macros be extended in the form definition?
>

> hmmm, good questions. I'd say yes, but I can't think of a simple
> syntax now. Ideas?
>
>> 3. Extension/Inheritance of widgets may be a problem as currently the
>> validation of configs is done within the builders'
>> buildWidgetDefinition() method. May need to implement
>> "extendWidgetDefinition(Element, WidgetDefinition)" for each of the
>> builders. Default may be to just return the given definition. Could be
>> called in
>> AbstractWidgetDefinitionBuilder.buildAnotherWidgetDefinition().
>> Do you think that would that solve it?
>

> I hope somebody who with in-depth knowledge can answer this.

Me too :-)

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tim Larson <ti...@keow.org>.
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:46:09AM +0200, Max Pfingsthorn wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> This is mainly to Reinhard and Sylvain, I guess. Who else is a CForms
> guru here? :)
>
> I have a question about the inheritance and namespace/inclusion
> semantics which are not really discussed in the wiki.
>
> 1. What about nested libraries? In the wiki it says it forms a flat
> namespace. Would that be like this: include library 1 as "lib1" and
> library 2 (from library 1) as "lib2", then all macros of lib2 will
> still be accessible as lib2:name in a definition which includes lib1?
> It also mentions a tree like model (I guess like java packages?),
> which would result in "lib1:lib2:name" to resolve to a macro in lib2?
> I guess both would be sort of easy to implement.

Think of it like a tree, where each level can only see its
own direct imports.  For a library to expose macros from
the libraries it imports it has to extend them, in effect
adding those macros to its own namespace.  In other words,
when you import a macro library you can only see the macros
that the library itself defines or extends, not macros that
the library just happened to import for its own use.
(This merely describes the current design and implementation
in whiteboard/forms, feel free to change/improve it.)

> 2. Can any widget type be macro-ized or only fields? I guess any would
> make sense... Can macros be extended in the form definition?

Any type of widget or list of widgets.

> 3. Extension/Inheritance of widgets may be a problem as currently the
> validation of configs is done within the builders'
> buildWidgetDefinition() method. May need to implement
> "extendWidgetDefinition(Element, WidgetDefinition)" for each of the
> builders. Default may be to just return the given definition. Could be
> called in AbstractWidgetDefinitionBuilder.buildAnotherWidgetDefinition().
> Do you think that would that solve it?

It has been a while since I thought about that part...try
it and see how it works out.

> 4. What exactly is the NewDefinition for? For dynamic form generation?
> In that case, I guess, I can reuse some of it's parts for the
> MacroDefinition(Builder), yes?

I copied and modified the Class and New defintions to make
the "macro" support in whiteboard/forms.  Class is for
creating a blueprint of a list of one or more widgets, New
says "build an instance of that blueprint right here".
"New" happens at the normal form-build time, so it is not
really any more dynamic than saying <fd:booleanfield.../>.

> 5. What about caching or reloading libraries if they changed? How is
> that handled right now?

Iirc, they are cached indefinitely, and checking for
out-of-dateness only happens one level deep.  An area for
improvement :)

Have fun,
--Tim Larson

Re: CForms Summer of Code project

[...]