Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Boris Glawe <bo...@boris-glawe.de> on 2004/09/17 15:21:53 UTC

XML and network programming

Hi,

I've read some tutorials about network programming with linux. Most of
them are limited to creating sockets and sending/receiving data. I am
now looking for solution that is both secure and usefull to send XML
based data from one machine to another.

It is possible to send arbitrary text over the network with the
solutions provided  by my tutorials. It's thus also possible to send
XML-documents over the network, which can be processed by my application.

BUT it's not guaranteed, that the arriving data is an XML-document. It's
not even guaranteed, that the arriving data encodes any characters - it
could also be some malicious machine code.

Is it safe to assume, that the received data is valid XML and that it
can be sent to the parser directly? Is the parser able to handle any
manipulated code in the received code?

Please tell me if you've got better solutions for that problem. I don't
know any technology, that helps me with that task.

thanks Boris

P.S.

Actually I am going to write a client/server application with a very
limited range of capabilities. The server is simply a kind of front end
to any kind of database (it will initially be mysql). This server will
also have to inform all clients, if any entries in the database have
been changed.