Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@google.com> on 2014/04/22 20:40:14 UTC

ios-deploy vs libimobiledevice

Shaz, wondering if you looked into using libimobiledevice instead of
ios-deploy. Seems like it's much more capable, works on Linux, and
well-maintained.

http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

There are "idevice*" commands that match ios-deploy:

    `idevice_id -l` to list attached devices
    `ideviceinstaller` to install/uninstall/list apps
    `ideviceimagemounter` to mount the dev image
    `idevice-app-runner` to launch an app
    `idevicedebugserverproxy` to debug via lldb

plus commands to:

    `ideviceinfo` to get device info
    `idevicefs` to list/copy files to/from devices
    `idevicesyslog` to tail the syslog
    ... etc ...

Only downside I can see is that for OSX, installing is a bit of a
pain. There's a brew package for ideviceinstaller, but not the other
tools. This random page worked for me:
https://github.com/bitbar/libimobiledevice-binaries, but we might want
something better...

Re: ios-deploy vs libimobiledevice

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
+1 to npm package. Homebrew is a barrier to many.  (Would it not make sense
to make ios-sim / ios-deploy deps of the CLI itself so no extra install
needed too.)

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1 same a Brian, adding Homebrew is a barrier to some.

we already requried npm git, lets not add, lets remove like we are doing
with "git" by using npm for acquiring the platforms.

And yes I have seen ios-deploy get more stable, and thanks to Shaz and
others.

Be worth looking into adopting ios-deploy as a first class citizen under
Cordova project, and/or looking why libimobiledevice is more stable and
learning from approach to implementation to make iso-deploy more stable.

--Carlos

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: ios-deploy vs libimobiledevice

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@google.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Darryl Pogue <dv...@gmail.com>.
On 22 April 2014 11:40, Andrew Grieve <ag...@google.com> wrote:

> Only downside I can see is that for OSX, installing is a bit of a
> pain. There's a brew package for ideviceinstaller, but not the other
> tools. This random page worked for me:
> https://github.com/bitbar/libimobiledevice-binaries, but we might want
> something better...

There is a brew formula for libimobiledevice that should get you those
other tools.