Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by domi <Ke...@web.de> on 2007/03/14 14:36:03 UTC

[users@httpd] *.pem certificates and the directive: AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt

Hello,

I’m running a small Apache Webser with SSL (I’ve built my own CA and I use
self created certificates) for testing-purposes and everything works as
expected. (Apache 2.2.3 and OpenSSL 0.9.8d on SUSE 10.2) But today I
stumbled across the following observation. Please take a look at my
following ssl-global.conf.

As you can see I use the directive AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
but at the end my certificates have got .pem form.
This might be a dump question but I’m rather new in the Apache-world and so
I wonder why I don’t need an AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .pem
directive.
Or does .crt include .pem? I’ve found a lot of howtos to build
.pem-certificates but I wasn’t able to find a document where AddType
application/x-x509-ca-cert .pem is used.

my ssl-global.conf:

<IfDefine SSL>
<IfDefine !NOSSL>
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>

	AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
	AddType application/x-pkcs7-crl    .crl

	SSLPassPhraseDialog  builtin

	SSLSessionCache         shmcb:/var/lib/apache2/ssl_scache(512000)
	SSLSessionCacheTimeout  600

	SSLMutex  default
	SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
	SSLRandomSeed connect builtin

<VirtualHost _default_:443>

ServerName 192.168.0.5:443

ErrorLog /opt/myownca/ssl_error_log
TransferLog /opt/myownca/ssl_access_log

SSLEngine on

SSLCiphersuite HIGH:MEDIUM

SSLProtocol all

SSLCertificateFile /opt/myownca/certificates/01.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile /home/somewhere/certificatekey.pem

# SSLCertificateChainFile /opt/myown/cacert.pem

</VirtualHost>

</IfModule>
</IfDefine>
</IfDefine>

I hope that you’ll be able to help me.

Best regards domi

Re: [users@httpd] *.pem certificates and the directive: AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 14/03/07, domi <Ke...@web.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running a small Apache Webser with SSL (I've built my own CA and I use
> self created certificates) for testing-purposes and everything works as
> expected. (Apache 2.2.3 and OpenSSL 0.9.8d on SUSE 10.2) But today I
> stumbled across the following observation. Please take a look at my
> following ssl-global.conf.
>
> As you can see I use the directive AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .crt
> but at the end my certificates have got .pem form.
> This might be a dump question but I'm rather new in the Apache-world and so
> I wonder why I don't need an AddType application/x-x509-ca-cert .pem
> directive.

You would only need to use AddType for pem files if you wished to
serve them via http. AddType tells apache what mime type to use when
serving files based on the 'extension'. As for mod_ssl understanding
what format your cert file/bundles are in.. I don't know but I expect
that can be determined by looking at the file contents.

--
noodl