Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/06/20 03:08:40 UTC

disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

We're out of disk space.

/home/corpus-rsync/Obsolete takes up about a gig, and we need that
room ;)   anyone mind if I copy that down and nuke it?

--j.

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Matthew Cline <ma...@nightrealms.com>.
On Monday 21 June 2004 10:06 pm, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> writes:
> > Yeah, I think the ASF Bugzilla is pretty much a wild-west scenario.
> > My recollection is that the ASF suggested system is Jira, which is fine
> > with me.  I don't think there's really any way for us to merge our BZ
> > tickets into either another BZ or Jira, so we'd pretty much be at a
> > "start-over" state, BTW.

> I'm -1 on Jira.

+0 on Jira in and of itself, but -1 on junking all the current BZ data and
starting from a clean state.

--
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Advanced SPAM filtering software: http://spamassassin.org

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 02:21:21PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by support? I could use Windows, and I'd have
> support, but I choose not to, and I run linux without support. Hasn't
> bothered me one bit...

Both "the company making Jira will give updates/help with issues", and
"there are people actively managing the "system" at ASF".

> I'm not really sure what you mean by taking over administration of it
> -- lots of projects currently use it. Although httpd, for example, is

The last time we went down this path, we found that there is _nobody_
actively managing the ASF BZ installation.  Perhaps that's changed in
the last few months, but it came down to "if SA wants to use the ASF BZ,
SA folks are going to have to take over the management duties", which I,
at least, am not willing to do (I have enough to do in a day as it is...)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"sendmail is a big cloud of murky sysadmin magic ...  I'm still an

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:13:44AM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:55:47AM +1200, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> > On the other hand, if somebody at Apache is taking care of setting it
> > all up and using it is as easy as what we are doing now with Bugzilla,
> > it would not make that much difference.
>
> Well, the ASF already has Jira setup, and it's running, and they have
> support.  Bugzilla is also setup, but has no support at all IIRC even
> from the projects using it.  When we last went over this, it basically
> came down to: keep using our current BZ (the only issue is that it's not
> an ASF machine I think), switch to ASF BZ but take over the administration
> of it and everything else, switch to ASF Jira.

What exactly do you mean by support? I could use Windows, and I'd have
support, but I choose not to, and I run linux without support. Hasn't
bothered me one bit...

> While I'm all for OSS, if Jira is already setup, and it's "the" ASF bug
> tracking system, I see no reason to not use it.

I'm not convinced it it "the" ASF bug tracking system. Each project is
permitted to choose as they wish (ASF has Bugzilla, Jira and Scarab
available).

> So, I'm +0.9 on leaving BZ where it currently is.  I think it's fine,
> but am concerned if we're going all ASF that it's not an ASF machine.
>
> I'm -0.9 on the ASF BZ.  One of us will have to take over administration
> of it, and it's going to be a ton of work to properly take our BZ data
> and put it in another BZ.  Not to mention that if the ASF is trying to
> get projects into Jira, there'll be no point to go through the BZ move.

I'm not really sure what you mean by taking over administration of it
-- lots of projects currently use it. Although httpd, for example, is
moving to Scarab. Does anyone know anything about Scarab?

> I'm +0.5 on going to Jira.  It's already setup, we don't need to deal
> with it from an admin point, but it's going to potentially be a ton of
> working getting our BZ data into it.  If we want to goto an ASF system
> though, I think this is the best option.

I'm -0.5 to -1 on this.

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:55:47AM +1200, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> On the other hand, if somebody at Apache is taking care of setting it
> all up and using it is as easy as what we are doing now with Bugzilla,
> it would not make that much difference.

Well, the ASF already has Jira setup, and it's running, and they have
support.  Bugzilla is also setup, but has no support at all IIRC even
from the projects using it.  When we last went over this, it basically
came down to: keep using our current BZ (the only issue is that it's not
an ASF machine I think), switch to ASF BZ but take over the administration
of it and everything else, switch to ASF Jira.

While I'm all for OSS, if Jira is already setup, and it's "the" ASF bug
tracking system, I see no reason to not use it.

So, I'm +0.9 on leaving BZ where it currently is.  I think it's fine,
but am concerned if we're going all ASF that it's not an ASF machine.

I'm -0.9 on the ASF BZ.  One of us will have to take over administration
of it, and it's going to be a ton of work to properly take our BZ data
and put it in another BZ.  Not to mention that if the ASF is trying to
get projects into Jira, there'll be no point to go through the BZ move.

I'm +0.5 on going to Jira.  It's already setup, we don't need to deal
with it from an admin point, but it's going to potentially be a ton of
working getting our BZ data into it.  If we want to goto an ASF system
though, I think this is the best option.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"This meat is hard to chew," Tom beefed jerkily.

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.

Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com> writes:

> What are your issues with Jira? This discussion is the first I've heard
> of it. (googling...) Oh, it isn't open source, even if they allow open
> source projects to use it for free! Is that the issue?

Yes, that is the reason my negative vote is not represented in floating
point.

> I know that I like dealing with as few infrastructure tools as possible
> and I'm already used to Bugzilla. Switching to svn was easy and the next
> time I set up source control for myself I'll use svn instead of cvs. But
> I would not be able to make a similar switch to Jira because it is not
> free to individuals.

Agreed.

> On the fourth hand, I'm just a committer, not a member of the PMC. I
> would guess that I don't have a vote. I'll end up using whatever the
> project makes available, and I'm sure it will work fine.

I don't know whether that guess is right, but I think this is a
committer issue more than a PPMC issue.  At least, your opinion matters.
;-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> I'm -1 on Jira.

What are your issues with Jira? This discussion is the first I've heard
of it. (googling...) Oh, it isn't open source, even if they allow open
source projects to use it for free! Is that the issue?

I know that I like dealing with as few infrastructure tools as possible
and I'm already used to Bugzilla. Switching to svn was easy and the next
time I set up source control for myself I'll use svn instead of cvs. But
I would not be able to make a similar switch to Jira because it is not
free to individuals.

On the other hand, if somebody at Apache is taking care of setting it
all up and using it is as easy as what we are doing now with Bugzilla,
it would not make that much difference.

On the third hand, I would not want to find out about some difficulty in
customizing the setup for our needs after making the switch. Bugzilla is
a known quantity.

On the fourth hand, I'm just a committer, not a member of the PMC. I
would guess that I don't have a vote. I'll end up using whatever the
project makes available, and I'm sure it will work fine.

  -- sidney

Re: JIRA vs. bugzilla (was re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org)

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 03:06:37PM -0700, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> writes:
>
> > Yeah, I think the ASF Bugzilla is pretty much a wild-west scenario.
> > My recollection is that the ASF suggested system is Jira, which is fine
> > with me.  I don't think there's really any way for us to merge our BZ
> > tickets into either another BZ or Jira, so we'd pretty much be at a
> > "start-over" state, BTW.
>
> I'm -1 on Jira.

I'm not going to go that far as to veto it, but I'm -0.5, for
licensing issues.

Although, I did find this about migrating to Jira from BZ:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JIRABugzillaMigration

So it seems the migration is possible/supported.

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> writes:

> Yeah, I think the ASF Bugzilla is pretty much a wild-west scenario.
> My recollection is that the ASF suggested system is Jira, which is fine
> with me.  I don't think there's really any way for us to merge our BZ
> tickets into either another BZ or Jira, so we'd pretty much be at a
> "start-over" state, BTW.

I'm -1 on Jira.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 05:34:58PM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:21:54PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> > Post-incubator-graduation, do we want to migrate to ASF bug tracking
> > infrastructure?  And if so, which?  An ASF bugzilla (which if I recall
> > correctly we'd pretty much have to take care of ourselves), or Jira?
>
> Yeah, I think the ASF Bugzilla is pretty much a wild-west scenario.
> My recollection is that the ASF suggested system is Jira, which is fine
> with me.  I don't think there's really any way for us to merge our BZ
> tickets into either another BZ or Jira, so we'd pretty much be at a
> "start-over" state, BTW.

I'm +1 moving to Jira, I've just been reading up on it and it looks
pretty cool.  There does seem to be a way to migrate Bugzilla over to
Jira, but no idea how well it works.  Could be a good thing to start
over.

Michael

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:21:54PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> Post-incubator-graduation, do we want to migrate to ASF bug tracking
> infrastructure?  And if so, which?  An ASF bugzilla (which if I recall
> correctly we'd pretty much have to take care of ourselves), or Jira?

Yeah, I think the ASF Bugzilla is pretty much a wild-west scenario.
My recollection is that the ASF suggested system is Jira, which is fine
with me.  I don't think there's really any way for us to merge our BZ
tickets into either another BZ or Jira, so we'd pretty much be at a
"start-over" state, BTW.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I had a linguistics professor who said that it's man's ability to use
 language that makes him the dominant species on the planet.  That may be.
 But I think there's one other thing that separates us from animals.  We
 aren't afraid of vacuum cleaners."         - Jeff Stilson

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:17:23PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> > The bugzilla machine has 2 9GB disks.  We're only using the first one.
> > I'll mount the second one as /home/corpus-rsync ...
>
> well that's pretty easy ;)

I do what I can. ;)

BTW:

/dev/sda3              7701432   4013176   3297040  55% /
/dev/sda1                49558     16350     30649  35% /boot
/dev/sdb1              8783864   2727820   6056044  32% /home/corpus-rsync

Around the time we got the box, I was going to see about getting the
disks mirrored, but that never really happened. :(

Oh, and I just noticed that apparently we did the move from Craig's
box to the Sonic.net box on 6/21/2003, so happy 1 year anniversary SA
Bugzilla! :)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because

Re: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 06:08:40PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> /home/corpus-rsync/Obsolete takes up about a gig, and we need that
> room ;)   anyone mind if I copy that down and nuke it?

I have a solution to this. ;)

The bugzilla machine has 2 9GB disks.  We're only using the first one.
I'll mount the second one as /home/corpus-rsync ...

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"For a while, all that stood between America and annihilation was a man with
 a drinking problem." - Some program on the Learning Channel

RE: disk space on bugzilla.SpamAssassin.org

Posted by Henry Stern <he...@stern.ca>.
Save the 2.60 training corpus!

Have you considered gzipping the contents of corpus-rsync?

Henry