Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/18 14:37:45 UTC

User specific Preferences (JS2-449)

As requested, I'm starting a thread on the dev list for the user
specific preferences isssue that David mentions below.  I am one of
those users that has been vocal about this issue, so I'd like to show
my support!

Ideally, I'd like preferences to work in this manner:

1. Preferences default to the values specified in portlet.xml.  But,
if they are not read-only, they can be overriden by:

2. Preferences specified in a PSML fragment.  These in turn can be overriden by:

3. User specific preferences that the user can edit themselves.

A user ought to be able to edit their preferences via the page-manager
(I think that is the place).  However, in addition, I would expect
that when I invoke the API calls:

PortletPreferences.setValue(prefName,prefValue);
PortletPreferences.store();

I would expect that the value (prefValue) for the preference
'prefName' would be stored as a user preference and remain specific to
that user.

This would allow a portlet to provide its own preference editor
interface (most likely in EDIT mode) that remains JSR-168 compliant
and portable accross containers.

One question: If the chain of precedence works as described above,
suppose I have the following situation:

1. A value, S, for preference A for portlet X is specified in portlet.xml.
2. No value for preference A for portlet X is specified in the psml fragment.
3. It is the first time a user is using portlet X (thus there would be
no user specific value).

If I make the API call:

PortletPreferences.getValue(A,R);

Should it return R or the value specified in portlet.xml.  My
interpretation would be to return S, the default value specified in
portlet.xml.  R would only be returned if there were no value
specified for A in any of portlet.xml, PSML fragment or user specific
value.

Comments/Suggestions/Differences of Opinion?

-aaron

Re: User specific Preferences (JS2-449)

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Aaron Evans wrote:
> As requested, I'm starting a thread on the dev list for the user
> specific preferences isssue that David mentions below.  I am one of
> those users that has been vocal about this issue, so I'd like to show
> my support!
>
> Ideally, I'd like preferences to work in this manner:
>
> 1. Preferences default to the values specified in portlet.xml.  But,
> if they are not read-only, they can be overriden by:
>
> 2. Preferences specified in a PSML fragment.  These in turn can be
> overriden by:
>
> 3. User specific preferences that the user can edit themselves.

+1, the user specific prefs should always override everything

> A user ought to be able to edit their preferences via the page-manager
> (I think that is the place).  However, in addition, I would expect
> that when I invoke the API calls:
>
> PortletPreferences.setValue(prefName,prefValue);
> PortletPreferences.store();
>
> I would expect that the value (prefValue) for the preference
> 'prefName' would be stored as a user preference and remain specific to
> that user.
>
> This would allow a portlet to provide its own preference editor
> interface (most likely in EDIT mode) that remains JSR-168 compliant
> and portable accross containers.
>
> One question: If the chain of precedence works as described above,
> suppose I have the following situation:
>
> 1. A value, S, for preference A for portlet X is specified in portlet.xml.
> 2. No value for preference A for portlet X is specified in the psml
> fragment.
> 3. It is the first time a user is using portlet X (thus there would be
> no user specific value).
>
> If I make the API call:
>
> PortletPreferences.getValue(A,R);
>
> Should it return R or the value specified in portlet.xml.  My
> interpretation would be to return S, the default value specified in
> portlet.xml.  R would only be returned if there were no value
> specified for A in any of portlet.xml, PSML fragment or user specific
> value.

i agree

> Comments/Suggestions/Differences of Opinion?
>
> -aaron

In order to get user-specific prefs instead of page-specific prefs, we
need to change the database schema and the queries to retrieve prefs
Hopefully it will go smoothly...